ad: M2Ant-1

forgotten modes

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KA1BSZ, Dec 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. DL4QB

DL4QB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey,
    does anyone know MT63? I had used it once a long time ago and could follow a morning round in Norway.
    On one day, I once joined in. It worked very well on 20m almost every day.
    It was great! Nobody knew this particular signal. What I like very much about MT63, it is a real chat possible, for hours if you want. MT63 has extrem good corrections and also has no problem with fading or other disturbances. Even if in a part of the signal an SSB QSO should scratch it still goes.

From time to time I call on 40m and on 20m still with MT63, but unfortunately there is no answer anymore. Probably all slipped to FT8.

The easiest way to use it is surely FLDIGI.
    Try it out, also among each other in local QSOs etc....

According to Wiki the following frequencies:
    7.038-7.040 kHz
    10.135 kHz
    14.130-14.135 MHz
    14.147 MHz
    14.348 MHz

Some more details:

https://www.satern.org/Training/digital_radio/DigitalPrimer4.html

73 Andre / DL4QB

PU2OZT and N5ABI like this.
  2. N5ABI

N5ABI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'll be trying this one.

DL4QB likes this.
  3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to REALLY go old-school...scour the 'fests, the various radio classifieds sites and eBay for a HAL DSR-3100, the CLOVER/MBox option board and an ST-6000 or ST-8000 modem. Find an appropriate spot on the 20M band, park the rig there, set it up and let your friends have fun accessing the thing.

Been there, done that with the RTTY iteration and have the worn-out driver/final tubes to prove it. Most of my gear of the day didn't have a fast enough T/R turnaround time so I didn't play with TOR very much, but any of the later-model solid-state rigs which properly implement QSK should work this mode just fine.

4. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sitting on an old PK-232, what do you guys do for operating software. I'd be OK with dumb terminal mode after some practice. I'd want separate screen areas for TX and RX if possible. I had some luck in the past with "uploading files" that were composed of the command setups for each mode.
    Rob

5. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

My local club uses this one with digimode newbies because it works so well with simple acoustic coupling between the computer and the radio.

Once an operator sees this working, the 'light bulb moment' occurs and they generally equip themselves for faster modes soon enough.

NQ1B likes this.
  6. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

In order of my preferences:
    ( Some of these require the 'DOS Command Prompt' or 'Command Prompt' window, depending on the PC operating system ) :

ProComm(Tm) ( In the 'shareware' sort of version, non-commercial use O.K. )
    ProComm Plus(Tm) with Aspect(tm) scripting language ( there may still be a price for this one )
    PuTTY ( applicable to some newer operating systems, just not as user-friendly with no built-in split screen in some versions )
    Hyperterminal(Tm) paid versions ( non-crippleware, ie. VT-52/VT-100 arrow keys function correctly )
    Hyperterminal(Tm) included in Windows95(TM/C/Etc.) see above
    X-Modem(TM/R/etc.) by Ward Christensen
    Kermit(TM/R/Etc.?)
    MultiComm (TM/R/Etc.) ( If you can find it )
    PK-Gold (TM/R/Etc.) ( If you can find it )
    PK-Term (TM/R/Etc.) ( If you can find it- AEA dissolved into both Timewave and AEA- a different AEA company )
    Old PK-232 logging program only if the older PC date is faked for the 1970s or 1980s. Some had a 'drop-dead' timer which choked if the year was beyond the expiration.
    Then once you have a basic VT-52 or VT-100 interface type, you will also want the manual from Timewave(TM/R/Etc.) at www.timewave.com for the meanings of the commands.
    Then there are others who just use "TTY" from Linux/etc. operating systems, and PC-PacRatt for Macintosh-era 'Apple' machines.
    Consider an RS-232 cable which has more than just 3 conductors- most handshaking lines when you wish to transmit- and "callsign" is NOT an optional parameter for transmit.
    Before you go too far, consider also the internal battery in the PK-232- is it corroded? Most need to be replaced, or have been with a battery holder.
    Also- that power supply almost always needs to supply a full 1 ampere current. You can listen without that much, yet you may wish to send. Timewave sells them...

7. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I found some freeware called LanLink which can be setup for many of the popular 90s boxes like the PK-232 and the KAM series. It took some work, as the initialization file had a command my PK-232 didn't like. (DCD, I put a hash tag in front (#DCD) to null out the command.) Then, I had to get it setup for HF packet at first so I could monitor the 20M packet channel. 14,103.350 on my IC 7300, with the rig in RTTY mode as I am setup for the FSK. It's still a work in progress, I'll monitor the thread for interest.
    Rob

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There are any number of the old terminals available for packet and other digital modes but a real lack of software. Have had some success with terminal software but it's real cave man stuff compared to current programs. The one area where you might find some success is the older RTTY gear. There are so many talented hams who are also into programing that it's a mystery why more than a few programs for these older units don't exist as freeware. Perhaps it's the hardware that holds little interest. Maybe one of these program mavens will be motivated in 2021. Let's hope.

PU2OZT likes this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Odd how some can get away with a "meds" comment, yet others have their posts removed...

K3XR likes this.