ad: AbAuRe-1

forgotten modes

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KA1BSZ, Dec 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people will argue the fact whether cw is a digital mode or not and in fact it is. Most people do not think of cw as a digital mode. But there nodes that you never hear any more or at least I have never heard being used and they are FFC 31, PSK 10,MT63,PSKAM10,PSK220F,AMTOR,ASCII,LENTUS,PACTOR1,DOMINO EX,MFSK,PAX,PSK H,RTTYM,CONTESTIA,SITOR, and RTTY100. I've tried some of these modes and they work great. Once in a while when i'm in my hf mobile station, I'll call cq on AMTOR,PACTOR,DOMINO. No one ever comes back,but the other modes I hear besides FT8,4 and PSK are olivia,thor. I see that PSK is on the raise again and that is wonderful. Just before FT8 came on, there were times on 20 meters that to find a spot to have a qso on PSK, it was too crowded. About year after FT8.....14-070 mhz -14.072 the band was abandon. I've seen olivia, thor and just recently FIELD HELL Domino and contestia some. Also a few winters ago, there was quite a bit of contestia 14.073-14.071 mhz. When JS8 got on the band wagon, very few stations would use that mode. I am NOT against using FT8,FT4 or JT65, if you are not a ragchewer,want the quick,rapid, 1 minute qso and make as many as you can, then FT8 and FT4 are your modes. if your not is any hurry,JT65,JT9,JT4,WSPR is your modes. If you want a nice relatively long,friendly conversation, then the fore mentioned modes are your modes of choice. If you want to through out a signal just stir things up a bit, get on some of these modes. There is another mode I almost forgot mention and that is glover and clover. I have no idea what these modes are how they were used. I did hear that during the Korean war that CLOVER mode was used often. I get on 20 meters every morning with PSK 31. I was addicted to FT8 and FT4. However when i'm in the mobile I'll start with FT8 and then move to FT4 and actually make a few contacts in the mode while in the car. Not to get off the subject...But I have found out if in the first part of my transmissions i say that i am MOBILE, right away the other station will say " i got heavy qrm,qsb,another station nearby is wiping you out,etc " it is as if our mobile signal is virus. But if you not mention you are mobile, no one will say those things and at the end of the qso they will say" MOBILE? YOU ARE MOBILE? WOW! THAT'S A GREAT SIGNAL FOR A MOBILE ". SO on these modes, While we are all cooped up in our homes this winter, during the next wave of covid and until most get the vaccine, let's enjoy our wonderful hobby and explore these modes,try them out,empress others with these weird sounds coming the speaker. There IS life after FT8. HAPPY HOLIDAYS from KA1BSZ and KA1BSZ/M.

KD9FZD, W9FL, N4FZ and 2 others like this.
  2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Paragraphs are your friend

KB1MM, N8RKD, KC9YGN and 8 others like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another forgotten mode. ;)

AG5DB, WA9UAA, KI4ZUQ and 2 others like this.
  4. KD8DEY

I prefer Ala Mode

KD0KZE, K8PG and WA9UAA like this.
  5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"argue the fact whether cw is a digital mode or not and in fact it is. Most people do not think of cw as a digital mode. "

I am not arguing, I am educating you.

CW ( Morse code using CW as a mode ) is in fact not a digital mode by Amateur radio use or FCC regulations. All Amateur Digital modes require a computer or decoder of some sort and are
    not human readable. CW ( Morse Code ) is not zeroes and ones as some people incorrectly state.

KC9YGN and KC3TEC like this.
  6. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

A1A = OOK

K8BZ likes this.
  7. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

correct! cw is an amplitude modulation of a carrier wave ( if i remember correctly)
    ( my old mind tends to be a bit flaky after a few beers:p)
    digital relies on binary code and if binary is displayed on a screen even the spaces between characters is a series of 0's
    but it is readable (difficult as heck but it is readable)

i used to leave binary coded messages at the bottom of the chalkboard in the classroom for others to try to decode! the trick ones were encrypted , annoyed the crap out of the teacher.[​IMG]

PU2OZT likes this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

so are your meds

KB1MM and N8YX like this.
  9. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110100 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01100110 01110101 01101110

(translation: Binary is lots of fun)

10. KD8DEY

Personal Attacks??!!
    Naughty Naughty
    Merry Christmas