ad: ARR

Ford F-150 Negative Battery Terminal Concern

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K3WR, Sep 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K3WR

K3WR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am preparing to install a new vhf/uhf radio in my 2017 Ford F-150 pickup and thought I would check to see if FoMoCo had any concerns that could affect the installation.

Looks like Ford recommends NOT grounding directly to the negative battery post on 2015 and later F-150 pickups. Alternatively, Ford recommends grounding to a specific point as indicated in their Q-231 SVE Bulletin.

The Bulletin may be located at this URL: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-231.pdf

Hope this may be of assistance to fellow 2015 and newer year F-150 owners.

K3WR

N0TZU likes this.
  2. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Applies back to, at least, 2011 models as well. I had an 11, and am currently in a 13. I did not go to the negative post, as they have the Hall Effect sensors as well.

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

The advice to return the negative lead of a radio directly to the negative pole of the battery was wrong-headed before current sensors were added there in modern vehicles. Doing so just guarantees that you will have alternator whine in the radio's speaker and/or transmitted audio. Grounding the radio to the vehicle frame near to it is mounted in the vehicle always was, and is now the best place to terminate the black wire...

K5BBC, N0TZU, K7JEM and 1 other person like this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto. Tom W8JI writes about mobile grounding here (link).

K6LPM, N2EY, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  5. W4ERR

W4ERR Ham Member QRZ Page

always grounded mine at the frame of the dash, hasn't given me any problems not broke why fix it

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not just use the fuse block ? They are not there to just look pretty, Or are they ?

7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! This is good to know. I was just getting ready to install a radio in my work truck. As for the positive, it's good to go straight to the battery or should I break out of the proper high current accessory on either the fuse box inside the engine compartment or the interior fusebox within the passenger kickplate?

8. W4ERR

W4ERR Ham Member QRZ Page

depends, do you want ignition power or constant hot

9. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A good place to get power, Is the circuit that powers the Trailer/Brakes. Fused already.