ad: AlphaRF-1

Force of Two: In Depth stories from 2 Puerto Rico volunteers on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Oct 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4AUE

W4AUE Ham Member QRZ Page

May be time for an independent investigation of the "Force of 50" deployment - the ARRL, Red Cross, and FEMA. All are spending donations and taxes and should be held accountable for those funds as a minimum .... not to mention the impact of an incompetent response to a natural disaster.

K5WW, W3TWG and AI7PM like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent (send) my donations--real stuff, not dollars thru a nonprofit--directly to ham(s) in Puerto Rico. It is expensive but fast and enables the recipients to decide how to distribute/use.

W3TWG likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think competence is not the issue; its knowledge and network. Given the circumstance, and save for some of the unsavory stuff that Jeremy(Richard) NS0S discusses, the outcomes have been positive but not optimal.

Just keep in mind that the big issues now are electricity and roofs. And WATER (potable). Cell phones are becoming less of an issue. Health epidemics --preventing them from starting--are also a major concern.

Appreciate your opinion and respect that we disagree.

Chip W1YW

N0TZU likes this.
  4. KA2PTE

KA2PTE Ham Member QRZ Page

What I heard was a mayor OF PR , who made the 1st official announcement, so in my book during a disaster that's potentially THE Mayor or spokesperson
    or should be, at least showing some initiative , leadership and being out in front. At least thats how I see it. I like the analogy to the movie because it shows
    how during a drill some people wanna "file paperwork" and dont realize that in a disaster, u may not have access to a pen , or these days a computer. U need people
    who see what needs to be done, and either do it or can lead groups of people to do what it takes with whats left on hand. These days, no one is taught to think like that,
    the smart phone should be able to do everything, and it just dont work that way.

Also , the world is in a big depression, mentally and financially, yet these systems we fall back on were put in place when u at least had a reliable system with people who could more or less execute sound reason and judgement on a decent basis. Not so cut and dry these days, not at all. Under those conditions, people are not motivated or much hopeful to help fellow mankind especially when their own situation is deteriorating.

Boils down to manpower and resources, and u can have the resources but not the manpower or interest to do anything. Contrary to that saying "just do it" not always that simple.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/us/puerto-rico-aid-problem/index.html

It also takes money with manpower and resources at some point, because at some point u need to pay for fuel like it says in the video.

5. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just another example of the mindset and operational philosophies in Newington that are being exposed more and more often. SE Division Director election anyone? Approval of the SE Vice-Directors EMCOMM-1 initiative, then backdooring him 2 months later?

The using of miltary TV/Movies terms now so popular, "Going Rogue", "Broken Arrow",.......how manly and authoritive they must feel.

Appearances and photo ops certainly seem the high priority for the league. Make it look good, keep it under control of a small few, and avoid transparency at all costs. The opportunity for change and growth we had over 2 years ago were lost.

They don't have the membership of even a quarter of the licensed operators. Gee, maybe the other +-75 percent are smarter than I've been.

"The ARRL will not survive unless it poses and enables solutions. NOT make problems." Amen Brother!

K0JCK likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, there is no MAYOR of Puerto Rico. If that's what you heard, you should immediately question the veracity of anything that went along with it.

AG6QR and AI7PM like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL is independent of the image that a mere few project. That's what makes it sustainable. Sometimes you have to be patient. :)

73 Chip W1YW

8. W1SRR

W1SRR Ham Member QRZ Page

First, I want to thank the individuals that deployed to PR and Jeremy and Michael for reporting their experiences. Like many in our hobby, I also volunteered but never heard anything back from the ARC or ARRL. Jeremy and I share many of the same experiences except I am a tech BUT I also am also fluent in Spanish.

As a member of the military, you KNOW about "hurry up and wait" but can use your time boots on the ground to still do things. Leadership should have been assumed by someone other than a 19-year-old. It sounds like there was no real organization or leadership. This sounds like a real soup-sandwich and the ARC, FEMA, and ARRL has dropped the ball. I do not know who was the POC and chose the "team" and it's too late to complain, but there are lessons learned about this deployment and I only hope that the people who dropped the ball are removed from these positions of management and that they are filled with competent individuals.

Do-gooders and well-wishers have no place in a tactical and fluid real-life mission. I commend those who took their time to help in PR, but they should have had leadership from the ARRL and ARC on the scene and giving guidance and direction. My hats off to the team, just hoping that better thought is made into picking a team (at least the 50 you boast of).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    W4POT and W1YW like this.
  9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you liked that, you'll also enjoy the redux / redress at the end (and if you were offended, don't watch this clip either). Similar characters also appear / mentioned in the OP video or in this thread. I'll let your imagination fill in those blanks. ;)

K5WW, WB8CXO and AI7PM like this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked for a large company who provides a vital for people. I had to manage their restoration effort in New Orleans after Katrina. There were employees from certain areas of the country I resisted help from. But finally my hand was forced, and instead of integrating into my team they continued to report back to their out of state supervisor who felt compelled to put his feet in the mix. I finally fired them from the project and sent them packing

How does this relate? There are participants that do it to bitch about things and act like a speed bump. You have to recognize the difference. The hams in this story do not fit the mold of professional whiners, but the fact that people like those idiots in my example exist with regularity, organizations like the ARRL can use this to attempt to discredit the honest feedback hams. Be smart enough not to fall for this ruse.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    KG7LEA, W1SRR and K0IDT like this.