ad: elecraft

For those that enjoyed reading about my DIY kits

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WB0MPB, May 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

This post is for the ones that enjoyed reading about the DIY electronics kits I have ordered to have something to occupy some of my down time while I have been recovering from my broken ankle and 2 back surgeries and then have to play with during my time that I am alone. I was not going to post anything more about my DIY kits because I did not want to set myself up for ridicule but I have gotten to the point I just don't care what people say about me. 99% of you all are great guys and gals and seem to enjoy reading about what I am working on.

The kits I have been getting have just been dirt cheap when I get them direct fro China. It takes a month to get but they are worth the wait.

Well as most of you know I graduated many years ago with a degree in electronics and then went on to doing my internship, for nothing better to call it, in biomedical engineering at the University of Iowa and continued in that field at the U of I hospital until I went with one particular company and worked the rest of my major work years with Datascope.

So going through college back in the 70's I was intrigued with vacuum tubes and how they worked but after college I never encountered a tube again except in ham radio but did not home brew radios like @N2EY has done. So my memories of tubes were left in the dust. I have been wanting to get my learning about tubes back again. So I found the kit I am showing below and linking to. It is just a cheap 2 tube audio preamp DIY but when I say it I thought it was a kit I have been wanting for a long time just to build and then be able time input a signal and then follow through the schematic and relearn about tubes.

So I am so happy to get it and to be able to play with it and look at signals as they go through the circuitry and especially be able to work with the tubes.

If anyone wants me to I will show the build on this thread as I do it. Like I said it will be about a month before I get it and also I am going to get a audio generator kit and probably a 12 volt AC power supply. I might have a wall wart around somewhere to run it but I have seen the supplies (DIY) for dirt cheap and also the generator for dirt cheap so I will just get them so I can build them also. If there is no interest then I will not take the time to post anymore about it.

I was just excited to find it and am really enjoying getting back into building electronics kits. It is really fun even though they are cheap and simple. So if anyone wants to follow the build let me know.
    Link to kit.
    AC12V 6J1 Valve Pre-amp Tube Board 2.jpg AC12V 6J1 Valve Pre-amp Tube Board.jpg
    Specs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Features:

1. Type: 6j1 tube
    2. Power input : AC 12V 1A, 5.5*2.5 plug
    3. Channle :2.0 / stereo
    4. Potentiometer Role: Volume adjustment + Power Switch
    5. Size: 77 x 75 x 52mm
    Note: This is DIY Kits, and you need to assembled it by yourself.

Specification:

FE-6J1-2 fever tube pre-amp board is the circuit schematic design imitation crew Music fax X-10D,to be rational optimization,more stable performance than the original machine,tube play 10% increase. This board uses a single 12V AC input,the circuit processing provides 6J1 tube needed positive and negative voltage and filament power supply voltage.

Power works: an open power tube filament heating is started,when the boost from the zero-voltage start boosting hot filament tube,etc.,also happens to boost boosting finish,so this is the same with the guts rectification,8*470 UF the capacitor filter very clean,good power supply system will not have a hum,the filament is 12 V DC power supply,need two filament tube is connected in series with a DC filament also in order to reduce the noise.

John, WB0MPB

N2EY, WN6U, N8EKT and 2 others like this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have looked at this kit a number of times on ebay, how does it sound and do you have any plans for it as part of a larger build project like a tube receiver?

3. WB0MPB

I have no idea how it sounds as I do not have it yet.
    My first goal with it is to have the fun of building it and then studying it component to component watching the signal go through it and knowing well the design. It is a simple design but I don't want to just look at the schematic and learn it but want to follow the signals through to know it.

And as to the future I might use it to make it a part of a growing project but I will see day to day.
    John, WB0MPB

VK4HAT likes this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep us posted, I would be interested in knowing how it sounds when you get to giving it a good testing.

WB0MPB likes this.
  5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to know there is still some interest in "ham" projects with vacuum tubes.

Vacuum tube activity now seems to be with audiophiles trying to design the "ultimate" audio amp! (A very few hams build their own RF amplifiers).

Like you, my education (CalPoly class of 1962) stressed vacuum tubes, which left me with a burning (sic) desire to learn more and to design ham devices using tubes.

Keep it up!

Attached Files:

WD0BCT and WB0MPB like this.
  6. WB0MPB

It looks like there is some interest in this project that I am going to build. When I get it and start the build I will post more about it.
    John, WB0MPB

WD4DXQ and VK4HAT like this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Affirmative John!

WB0MPB likes this.
  8. WB0MPB

I love your dog. So cute.
    John, WB0MPB

9. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Imagine paying $35 for a 12AX7. Audionuts do it because someone told them this particular brand sounds "sweeter" (whatever that means)