ad: Alphaant-1

For those of you with a MFJ-464 CW Reader/Keyer, I have some questions for you...

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K4EET, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4EET

K4EET Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With respect to the MFJ-464 CW Reader/Keyer, I am considering purchasing a new or used unit if it will do the following. As a point of reference, I am proficient with CW up to about 15 WPM; maybe 20 WPM if I know what is generally coming as in a contest response. What I need is some "assistance" In contests and DX pileups where the target station is transmitting at 25 to 30 WPM or more.

Using good analog and/or digital signal processing to achieve a peak response from the target station's CW transmission, can it reliably pull out the target station's transmitted character string like "1001 599 MDC K4EET KN"?

Using the iambic CW keyer, I can send about 20 to 25 WPM. Would the MFJ-464 allow me to carry on a brief QSO with a DX station at 25 WPM?

You get the idea of my expectations for the MFJ-464. Based on your hands-on experience with the CW Keyer/Reader, would I be pleased or disappointed with respect to its performance?

Thanks for your time in responding to this thread. One day, I will be proficient with code at 25 to 35 WPM. In the interim, I am looking at the MFJ-464 CW Keyer/Reader to help me along. Comments; thoughts?

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Any computer or machine reader will only work well with a strong signal and a good fist and thats not even 100%. Expect 60-80% decoding in normal conditions and use your ears for the rest.

If you're working DX, and its not in a contest, all you need is to know the DX callsign, your callsign and 5nn...

example

QRZ de P5IKA

W4PC

W4PC 5NN

5NN TU

TU QRZ P5IKA

Now the big question to you the new dxer. Why is every ham that reads this message is panting, wishing the DX callsign was real and QRV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.