For those of you planning to work Sweepstakes...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Oct 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...I'm wondering what people think of the Radiogram style exchange. I totally understand idea of trading a contest exchange that is actual practice for trading useful information at other times. In the Sweepstakes case, the exchange is a modified version of the radiogram format the League has used for a long time. Other events such as NAQP also use non-generic exchanges, such as operator name and state.

So for those of you who like working Sweepstakes, and/or those of you who would like to see more contests be more of a challenge trading more useful information fields (rather than just 599 NY, e.g.), what would you choose as your required exchange format if you were to design a general-interest contest from scratch? Or if you had the opportunity to update an existing contest?

2. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we should exchange the make, model and VIN of whatever you are driving.:)

K9ASE, WA7PRC, KN7S and 1 other person like this.
  3. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are lots of contests with lots of different exchanges -- names (NAQP), counties (QSO Parties) grid squares (Makrothen RTTY 'test), etc., etc.

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first SS was 1968. I've only missed one since then. The longer exchange means you have to actually operate. Plus, there's no signal report!

When I started with SS, the exchange was even longer - there was the date (your month and day of birth) after the check. In the real old days, (before WW2), the SS exchange was a complete message (!).

Two weeks to go...

WA7PRC and KK5JY like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the SS exchange, it's impossible to anticipate and "pre-log" anybody!

Of course I also like some Sprints where the exchange is name and state, and you can make up any name you want as long as you stick with it. "Bozo in California" rings nicely.:) And with those, you can only "run" one station after you call CQ; after you exchange info with one station, the frequency becomes his and you have to move somewhere else.

There was once a Sprint where the exchange was "signal report and what you had for dinner."

"59 Pizza.":p

WA7PRC and KK5JY like this.
  6. W4JFA

W4JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the "Stew Perry top band challenge" tests where the exchange is grid squares. The only contest on HF that I know of that has grid squares as the exchange

WA7PRC, W7UUU and KK5JY like this.
  7. W4JFA

W4JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

There's lots of Bozo's in CA. How do I know that? Heck they even have a net named "Bozo" here!

WZ7U likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

N0TZU, N9ATV, N2SR and 4 others like this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Social security number in HEX :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, N4BC, N6QIC and 1 other person like this.
  10. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Squeeze the Wheeze

WZ7U and WA7PRC like this.