ad: Bamatech-1

For the Heathkit folks

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For some people who would trade their time for their money, they would have fixed the old microwave. Some people trade their money for their time and effort. This is nothing new either. What is the environmental cost to make the new piece up, getting rid of the old piece that was still usable when the new replacement fan was installed? We can't go on filling garbage dumps up all over the world with throw it away consumables. There is a large cost to doing that, I believe. Here in the USA we dumped over 100 million cell phones in the trash last year. Is this a good environmental practice?

The Right to Repair movement is need, IMO. Way too much propriety thinking has come to all sought of manufactured products these days. Cars of old had 1157 light bulbs that were used in tail lights, directional lights and interior lights in some cases. Some new cars have 5 different types of light bulbs in their makeup today. Mostly done so the car maker gets all of the repair cash money when the item goes down. Are cars more reliable today then in the past. Yes indeed without a doubt. But how many people will even try to repair their own car today? How many are going to fork over 10K for a decent bi-directional scanner that is needed just to get an idea of what is going on with the vehicle?

Wheel bearing and seals cost about 20 a side for my 2001 Dodge diesel truck. The new Dodge trucks have sealed bearing hubs and now cost 500.00 a piece plus labor to replace. So the car manufacturers don't hit you as often when buying parts for your car as in the past. They just hit you a lot harder in the wallet when a part goes South. Tail lights for Altimas are going for 1400.00 a piece and they are just pieces of molded plastic and cheap LEDs for the most part. There is no way in the World that it cost over 20 dollars to make that part as they are ginned out by the 100s of thousands over in China.

So yes cars last longer, preform better, can't be fixed by the greatest majority who own them and sure do cost a lot when it is time for them to be repaired. Cars and computer technology has made great advancements in the last 30 years. Has stereo tube amp improvements been on the same upward improvement trajectory as cars/computers have over the last 30 years?

WZ7U likes this.
  2. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

you di
    you did an amazing job

W7UUU likes this.
  3. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Elekit from Japan makes a nice tube amplifier kit.

[​IMG]

WD4IGX, KC8VWM and W5INC like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you - it was fun :)

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W5INC

Thanks for the link the KT-88 might be the way to go. :)

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tube Depot Sells Them

They also have a matching Preamp

And for those who like the 300B

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah for *only* $1495.00

8. W5INC

I was looking at the Dynakit folks who have a mono block 60W amp kits for a little over 600.00 for everything, including the tubes. A used pair of the Mark III original version of this amp from the early 60s, is going for 800.00 without the tubes and needs to be gone thru. For a few more 100 dollars I would go with new units and build them myself. The Dynakit look to be the best deal out there for a tube amp. Any opinions on the Mark III amp being offered by these folks?

https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/mark-iii-kit-120-vac/

These Dynakit folks also sell prefabbed chassis made up already based on their own designs and also sell individual pieces such as output Xformers, complete PS offerings, switches, knobs and faceplates. Nice way to go for a homebrewer who has plenty of the parts already, that are in the kits.

https://www.dynakitparts.com/

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Naw, think i'll stick with ye olde McIntosh in the shack...

IMAG0376_zpslevz0w67.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019