For the Heathkit folks

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sure the resident QTH Heath person, UUU has already seen this very nice Heathkit website, but it is the first time I ran across it. The only 1 of my Elmer's radios, that wasn't home brewed, was a HW-101. I did make a few CW contacts on that rig and remember the experience very fondly. Heathkit had a big store on Long Island and had a big following in the NE. No telling how many QSOs were made with Heathkit rigs over the years. Before the rice crop came ashore, Heathkits were used by a great many AR OPs. Maybe there were more Heathkits on the bands then any other kit/manufactured rig, IAG. Anyway a good history and some very nice pics of the Heath facilities are on the website. A picture of engineer Bill Hanna, who helped develop products for Heath is posted on the bottom.

Maybe the time for Heath is now to make a return to the market place, stimulated by the Right to Repair movement, afoot in today's World. What a novel idea to actually be able to repair an item you have purchased after it breaks down from use. What will they think of next?

Bill_Hanna.jpg

http://ww_heco.home.mindspring.com/

KA4DPO, KC8VWM and W7UUU like this.
  2. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those W 5 M mono block stereo amps do look mighty interesting. Any Forum members ever have a pair of these stereo amps? Looks like they could be upgraded rather easily, plus they look great.

w5nocage.jpeg

NL7W likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, I've got the same office chair :)

KD8DEY likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Surely you know of the amazing Heathkit SB-7300? :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

SB_7300_png.jpg

NL7W, KA4DPO, KA2CZU and 8 others like this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I love Heathkits, but I doubt we will ever see the return of larger items like complex transceivers in kit form. Changes in manufacturing just made it impractical for kits to compete. With today's technology the only way to be competitive is to use similar technology - SMDs and tight density. SMD can be done at home, of course, but isn't nearly as easy as through-hole much less point to point, AND the density is not practical for most hobbyists and some things wouldn't be practical for much of any human to hand assemble. And even if it were, the low cost of having machines do it would mean there would be no price savings, likely more for the kit by the time kit packaging and documentation was factored in.

The closest we may get is something like the Elekraft "kits" where you plug modules together and assemble the cabinet. Of course assembling small station accessories and such often still is possible, and there are many such kits marketed.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For smaller parts like 0201 (2mm x 1mm) SMDs, they really cannot. Even 0402s would be an amazing challenge.

Not to mention BGAs, which would be pretty much impossible.

SMDs and their incredible economy of scale is what allows our modern rigs to be as amazingly inexpensive as they are. Resistors, capacitors, diodes and transistors that cost 1 cent each...sometimes less. Through-hole stuff can't compete, not to mention a lot of it is simply disappearing.

The slickest thing about amateur radio is we are the only wireless service where using homebrew transmitting equipment capable of making worldwide contacts is allowed. And if you want to build a kilowatt transmitter on a piece of plywood, that's allowed, too.:)

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ!!!

8. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Many fond memories of Heathkits in the 50's and early 60's. My dad built many Heathkit stereos both for us and for customers at his TV repair shop (remember those?) He and I built my first few ham radios from Heathkits. My first station (1958) was a DX 20 transmitter, AR-3 receiver with QF-1 Q multiplier. My first mobile rig was a Heath Pawnee 2 meter rig. Fond memories of a day that is not likely to return.

9. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have my HR-10 and DX-60 from when first licensed in 1969.

Doesn't count for much today. Few remember.

But I am still having just as much fun :)

K7MH, K9ALT and W7UUU like this.
  10. W1UO

W1UO Ham Member QRZ Page

0201 is 2mil x 1mil, not 2mm x 1mm.