For Novices: About Calling CQ...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB5YUZ, Feb 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's no problemo for me; the "funny" call sign phonetic I use is "We Call Three Times." Hi hi.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  2. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are wondering why young people have no interest in our hobby just read this thread. Is calling cq really that big a deal. Grumpy old men who want to show their great skills in an obsolete task. Remember its just for fun. We don't communicate anything that can't be easier found on QRZ.

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i dont think this would drive away young people. It is good to read this thread b/c it goes over the right way to operate CW - you have to get it here b/c it's not taught anymore. There is an effective way to call CQ and an ineffective way to call CQ. If you do it wrong, you're not going to get responses b/c I'm not going to wait all night for you complete your call. Old timers or "pros" - usually DX stations - do it wrong too sometimes b/c they do something like "CQ CQ CQ CALL" and since they only send their call once, I often miss the entire call - i like to hear it at least twice.

WR2E likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I just skimmed thru all the answers posted. About as many opinions as folks who are willing to type them out !

First Peeve, I admit I agree it's frustrating to hear a guy sanc a L O N G CQ with his call and then NOTHING..... BUT....... SILENCE.......No K or AR to indicate he is done sending. I am afraid to answer , maybe he will send another string of "CQ"s when I am trying to answer ...

My 2nd Peeve is the guy who sends a CQ and ends with KN, meaning; "calling anyone and only the specific one I am calling can answer".

Lastly, the answer to my CQ calls (maybe) is someone who just sends a callsign.....nothing but the callsign all by its'self.
    Is this station calling ME or a DX station a few kHz up or down the band or some one who I can't even hear on my freq , because of skip propagation?
    If you hear me call CQ and want to have a QSO with me, PLEASE sand "my Call DE your Call (and then) K".....Now I know it's ME you are calling.
    I know this kind of callsign-only-calling goes on in a contest or a pileup for some rare DX but not in a normal time where you just are looking for a rag chew or a Casual QSO.

Flames extinguished..QRT, station out, 73, SK