ad: AlphaRF-1

For Novices: About Calling CQ...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB5YUZ, Feb 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

But I thought you guys operated world wide. Or were you suggesting every country should have its own operating procedures?

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because a country has their own operating procedures does not mean they are not compatible with other countries have had no problem talking to other countries for the 57 years I've been in the hobby.

3. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps thats one of the very reason for the OP's (and others) original question regarding calling CQ. and the various different explanation for others answers?

4. KI4VLM

KI4VLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Quote:...which, I suspect, was probably the caller's intention. Clearly they weren't interested in making a contact, so denying others use of the frequency was, most likely, the object of the exercise... Oh crap, they are on cw too? I've already read some elitists comments which sure make a rookie feel welcomed to cw. Geeez, can't people just chill out and show some tolerance for others? Still gonna learn code, ain't gonna let no briar patch scare me.......

5. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yikes, after reading through all this SSB looks good. :)

6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

nah, CW is where it's at :)

I hear people gripe about dead bands when I'm getting DX down in the CW portions of the band!

Don't let the elitists scare you away... but be willing to listen and learn form them b/c despite their poor way of communicating, there are nuggets of knowledge to be found in their words.

WR2E likes this.
  7. KI4VLM

Don't let the elitists scare you away... but be willing to listen and learn form them b/c despite their poor way of communicating, there are nuggets of knowledge to be found in their words.

No worries there. I agree, there is always something to be learned. They would not have gotten to where they are at without knowledge and practice, so I do appreciate that aspect. I just wish some of these experts weren't such premadonnas. They act like they were born with a cw key up their rectum and were farting code upon arrival. Naw, I'm not going to be intimidated by any cw practitioner at any level. If they can't handle helping newbies, let them eat .._. . _._. . ... LOL there, I transmitted code.

W5BIB likes this.
  8. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know who they are but I was referring to the detailed and anal analysis of CW. I'd quit complaining about operator's style and just appreciate they are interested in learning.

When I started out in the 1950's new Novice operators were as rough as seen today but did smooth out (most) over time after they got proficient. Lots of stories but we did sympathize with those wanting to learn CW...at least those I knew did. Heck I even went into the novice band after my general just to help out. It was a real treat for a novice to work a general and I enjoyed helping.

I never complained about how they operated, and still don't today. Just ignore the elitist's arrogant attitude. :)

W5BIB likes this.
  9. KI4VLM

10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yep. I do the same - i try to work at least one general or tech per operating session b/c the best way to learn CW is to operate CW. I'm mostly a DX/contest type (rr 5nn tu) and I draw the ire of the ragchewers and signal report purists :) but i dont let it bother me...

N7ZAL likes this.