ad: SDRKits-1

For Novices: About Calling CQ...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB5YUZ, Feb 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

That is like playing your piano part on a CD, and once you listen better, go back to playing it on the piano.

To be a better CW operator, you should operate as much as possible. Not sloppily but as best you can, working on parts you have difficulty with. Perfect practice makes perfect! It won't be long (although it will seem that way!) before you are comfortable, and proficient.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

By John Devoldere, ON4UN
    and Mark Demeuleneere, ON4WW
    Proof reading and corrections by Bob Whelan, G3PJT

Check out the link, appears to be an attempt at globalizing ham radio without regard to the rules and regulations by country we don't need a world body or organization dictating the minutiae of how we operate in our own country.

Let's look at a couple of examples of a conflict with the FCC rules and regs.

Use the one and only
    international spelling alphabet
    (attachment 1)
    correctly. Avoid
    fantasies
    which may sound funny or amusing in your own
    language, but which won’t make your correspondent understand what you are
    saying... Do not use different spelling words in one and the same sentence.
    Example: ‘
    CQ from ON9UN, oscar november nine uniform november, o
    cean
    nancy nine united nations...
    There is no "one and only" international spelling alphabet in the FCC regs.

"Some subjects which are a
    no no
    in amateur radio conversations on the air are:

religion;

politics;

business (you can talk about your profession, but you cannot advertise for your
    business);

derogatory remarks directed at any group (ethnic, religious, racial, sexual etc.).

bathroom humor: if you wouldn't tell the joke to your ten year old child, don't
    tell it on the radio;

any subject that has no relation whatsoever with the ham radio hobby. "

And the same content can be found where in Part 97?

3. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

You undoubtedly are aware of the structure of laws and regulation, compliance with which is mandatory, and carry penalties, criminal in some cases, civil liabilities in others, for violations, alongside a rather comprehensive set of "rules" having no force of law, rather manners, social standards, expectations to guide conduct in a variety of situations. One ignores those at the risk of being considered rude, oafish, inconsiderate, unpleasant, offensive and irregular to deal with.

KJ4RZZ likes this.
  4. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

ETHICS and operating procesures not regulations and operating procedures. The guidelines seem completely reasonable to me if one wishes to be polite in the practice of operating. Some obviously do not care about being polite, and they are of course free to do that.

My question was purely about the early and correct usage or AR, which according to the book means end transmission. After a CQ it seems approproate enough since there is no one to turn it back to with a K (yet). Today K seems to be the standard practice.

Attached Files:

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The "K" does not imply you have anyone specific to turn it over to. Its actual definition is "invitation to transmit" and that implies "anyone and everyone." KN is a directed invitation to transmit (invitation to only the station in contact, please don't break in). KN is very overused, especially by newer ops.

AR is only "end of transmission," and actually it's not even that broad. It really means end of content and is frequently used as a spacer to separate content within a single transmission. In no way does it invite anyone to answer.

NK2U likes this.
  6. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad I read this thread. Been licensed for 48 years, and I always ended my CQs with AR K. I don't recall if that was normal practice back when I started out as a Novice, but looks like it's time for me to change my format.

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

a CQ is a CQ regardless of how you end your transmission. I hear many many people with CQ CQ CQ DX CallSign CallSign DX K

Again, we all know a CQ is 'calling any station' so does it matter how it ends?

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as it does (end)!

I'm OK with AR or AR K or K, but the guys that just stop at their callsign... that's a different story.

9. PU2NIT

PU2NIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep! Today, this happened to me!

Before I tell, I must say I haven't had any contacts on CW yet. I've been QRPing in the middle of the city, with a MagLoop, so... it's been hard. Since I'm still a beginner on CW, I set my HB-1A to a slow speed, somewhere between 10 and 12 WPM.

So, I asked "QRL?" a couple of times on a frequency on 40m, and nothing. So, I called "CQ CQ CQ DE PU2NIT PU2NIT PU2NIT QRP K" to no answer. Called it again, twice more, and gave it some time.

Then, it started around 25 WMP someone calling CQ like crazy! And without any logic that I could say "OK! NOW he is going to give his callsign". He sent CW like 50 times (even missed some of them), eventually put DE and the callsing once, and came back to CQ right after. I only could get the first 3 digits of his call.

He/She didn't even give time to an answer! It was an infinite loop of CQs. Something like 3 minutes after, it stopped.

It was really really frustrating and VERY annoying.

Best!

Felipe - PU2NIT

10. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

...which, I suspect, was probably the caller's intention. Clearly they weren't interested in making a contact, so denying others use of the frequency was, most likely, the object of the exercise...