For connoisseurs of superb CW operating.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by M6GYU, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

https://archive.org/details/LastEastboundTrans-atlanticVoyageOfqueenMarygbtt

"A live recording of the wireless telegraphy (WT) transmissions in Morse code on 500 kHz and other MF frequencies from the Royal Mail Steamship "ss QUEEN MARY" on her last eastbound trans-Atlantic voyage in 1967 as recorded by Westinghouse Radio (Group W) engineer and former Radio Officer, Arthur C. Goodnow. Last Eastbound Trans-Atlantic Voyage of "Queen Mary/GBTT" - 1967 - R/O Arthur C. Goodnow, (W1DM)".

Listen to the duty Radio Officer at WSC/TuckertonRadio & the Radio Officer on the SS United States send/receive traffic to and from the Queen Mary.

These are Radio Officers at the top of their game.

KD2RON, KF7DF, YO3GFH and 4 others like this.
  2. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for this which I bookmarked so can use the recording for practice at another time. Really slick professional operating at its best.

M6GYU likes this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Note that everyone was full QSK. NOTHING works as smoothly as that.

M6GYU likes this.
  4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Full QSK because they (ship & shore) operated "Duplex". The only time "Simplex" was used, was for establishing contact on 500khz, after contact was made, they moved to their separate Working Frequencies & worked Duplex. HF was always Duplex (calling AND working).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    K3XR, WB5YUZ and N8AFT like this.
  5. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent !

So was this MCW (on AM) I wonder? (sounds like it was)

Roger G3YRO

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From information on the Maritime Radio Historical Society site, the maritime stations used CW (and some RTTY) modes. With a brief search, I found no description of MCW mode.

I believe the whole idea was reliability over long distances.

7. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to elaborate on W5BIB's comments:-

On 500khz =
    "WCC de GBTT 468 K" (he's signalling to wcc his own working frequency which may be dictated by the xtals he has on board) & WCC indicates "/36" which will refer to his working frequency of 436 khz.

then:-
    "R UP" Also used by WSC is simply BT (indicating he's received it and acknowledges the change of frequency).

After the confusion:_

You then get "WSC de GBTT HW?"
    Followed by "HR 14" (here I have 14 telegrams for you)
    to which GBTT simply says "WOW" followed by:- "FIRST ERE SVC indicating a non telegram but simply a 'service' message between stns/operators. You will also probably notice a lack of "DE" not being used a lot.

Have fun gentlemen!

W5BIB and VK2WP like this.
  8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A fine example of the the highest level of of Commercial/Professional CW operations. Those ship/coastal operators were The-Cream-Of-The-Crop. There were some idiosyncrasies (lack of spacing, etc.,) but, they knew each other's operating procedures & got the job done (with minimum of chatter) due to their amazing ability to comprehend what was being sent. See: http://vwoa.org/ (proud Life Member) dit dit ;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 11:20 AM