ad: Mircules-1

Foot Switch

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX5ALC, Sep 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a different model foot switch from an old "Dictaphone,." type "FCA3." It IS heavy, so doesn't move around easily. The advantage is that along with the main (wide, central) foot switch, there are two additional switches (one on either side) that can be used for the "UP/DOWN" functions. (Obviously, I DID replace the cord; I used an old "PS/2 mouse" extension cable.)

KF0OB likes this.
  2. KI4MYD

KI4MYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder if it was Mr. John Laney, K4BAI? He's a national treasure.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a bunch of dead guitar stomp boxes that folks bring in. They make great foot switches, and they're bullet proof.....literally! (Nother story for another time. HI)

NL7W likes this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Aww, c'mon. No time like the present. :D

Unless by 'another time', you mean after the statute of limitations has expired... :eek:

5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Linemaster Treadlite II, GEM and Premier foot switches are very popular in the tattoo trade. I know because I buy 1000's of them a year from them. Any of them would make a good foot switch for the ham shack.

K4PP likes this.
  6. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

A consideration for 'wandering' foot switches -

While it can be frustrating that they wander, I find that I prefer a bit of a wandering switch. It forces my leg to move in different directions, helping with muscle issues and circulation in contests/long DX sessions.

Most will disagree with me, but in practice, I prefer occasionally having to chase the switch with my foot, and occasionally involving my other foot to steady it for 'rapid fire' work, and occasionally being able to use my foot to shift the switch to a different place or angle.

It keeps me (literally) on my toes and that helps keep soreness away.

7. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The PTT pedals sold as such are almost all direct copies of keyboard sustain pedals--which can be purchased for significantly less money. A decent one that doesn't wander costs about $12, has a polarity switch, and can take a beating.

8. K3PI

K3PI Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried a foot switch for a while and it never worked well. Tiring on foot/lower leg. Not enough pressure etc

I now have a momentary hand switch that works a lot better for me (contests). I also have one that stays closed (ragchewing).