Foot Switch

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX5ALC, Sep 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope you ordered the one for the 590SG instead of the 590S Steve linked.

W9RAC likes this.
  2. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

Shhhhhh................don't tell him. :D I caught it JUST before I hit the buy button! :eek:

K5WY likes this.
  3. K9TDW

K9TDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have thousands of contacts with this $14.77 "bargain" foot switch paired with a Shure Sm-57 and Heil CC-1-XLR-YM microphone adapter cable into a Yaesu FT-891. I will definitely buy another one if this one ever fails.

https://www.amazon.com/Philmore-LKG...s=foot+switch+ham+radio&qid=1632193312&sr=8-4

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    W9RAC likes this.
  4. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

I use bargain one for some ten years w/o any maintenance. As far as can remember mine was sold as for tattoo machine.

Mine has to be pushed in the back.

Kenwood has balanced microphone input so all three lines (Hot, Cold, and GND) of standard XLR connector have appropriate pins on Kenwood's mic input. I do not insist but IMO a footswitch should also be connected there to appropriate pin (rear ACC2 still available as an option). Better approach is to prepare Y-adapter from Kenwood 8-pin to standard XLR, and to any type for FS (I'd vote for 1/4" TS jack). This break in microphone cable will also be fine to put phantom power supply for future condenser.

5. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. I run only XLR connections because I run rack gear when using the Kenwood. This allows for mic switching (between 4) to be able to set along with the gain for each and each selected at the touch of a button (phantom power is available also). The final conversation is in my case by the way of an IBOX. Currently the XLR mics I use are RE320, Shure SM7b, PR40. I have two mics on two booms at any given time however switching is EZ with the XLR plugs. All the audio gear is already XLR so the chain is pretty standard. Using only VOX I do have a momentary or locking mute switch also . If he decides to move forward with some audio experimentation might give him some ideas. 73 Rich
    IMG_1907.JPG IMG_1909.JPG IMG_1913.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    UT7UX likes this.
  6. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

@W9RAC, Richard, your shack looks so lovely!

W9RAC likes this.
  7. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Gene for the compliment. 73 Rich

UT7UX likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We often have QLF contests at the local hamfest. Not all QLF is confined to that, though. ;)

9. KF0OB

KF0OB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using an old Dictaphone recorder foot switch forever. Just wired it into my old Kenwood MC-50 mic and still working great almost 30 years later. Cheap on flea bay. CD8031FA-9CAC-4ACE-9D92-BDAC28A29C80.jpeg E18141DE-CC49-405E-A645-652A8A27A877.jpeg

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You never heard of "QLF?" :p

But seriously, I would think there are some handicapped amateurs that do just THAT.