ad: k1jek

Followup on 8 Area Incoming Bureau

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Apr 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Mario writes...

"Several weeks ago, I posted a message here asking if anyone was having a response problem with the 8 area incoming bureau. There were quite a few positive responses posted, but most of the negative responses came to me direct via e-mail.

I promised these folks to post the responses I received. They were all made anonymous as some were concerned about reprisal. However, the purpose of this posting is not to complain or pass blame. The purpose is to try to communicate, brainstorm solutions, and to offer help.

From the comments I received, it seems that the reasons the bureau is slow in responding to various requests is that they’re swamped with work. Volunteers have other obligations that come before their work at the bureau. I don’t think anyone would argue that. Others told me that those complaining should get off their behinds and volunteer instead of complaining. That would be difficult as the bureau is some 400 miles away for me. The bureau maintains three states, so it’s difficult to recruit volunteers. So what’s the solution?

First, I believe the officials of the Great Lakes Division which includes the director and section managers need to put this on the agenda of their next meeting. They need to form a QIT (Quality Improvement Team) and request volunteers from the larger clubs in all sections.

My personal idea is to divide the work up between the sections instead of having one club do all the work. The 8 area bureau would remain the same and manage the process. But upon receiving the cards, they might be divided in three and then send a third to a Michigan club and a third to a West Virginia Club. It would be great if they could sort the cards by state, and send the respective cards to that state, but that would require looking up each call letter on every card.

An alternative would be that Ohio would do XX8A through XX8H, then send XX8I through XX8P to a Michigan club, and XX8Q to XX8Z to a West Virginia club. Their would be a process manager for each sub-bureau, but to avoid confusion, the address of the bureau and main process manager would remain as is, in Columbus, Ohio. This solution would provide a greater number of volunteers and hopefully faster service. As with any new process, means to measure the improvement or problems would need to be in place.

I think it’s time to improve the 8 area bureau, and if anyone has any ideas, please post them or write to our Director, and/or Section Manager. If you want things to change, you need to communicate and go out on a limb sometimes.

The following are the responses I received regarding some of the ongoing problems. In spite of the problems though, I would again like to thank those who have volunteered and have given their time generously to the bureau. I did receive many responses indicating good service.

Mario,

I have sent several e-mails to the address of the person in charge of the XX suffixes as that was my old call. The address was listed on the Michigan section website and after three e-mails and 6 weeks wait I still have not heard from them. It is too bad they are unable or unwilling to provide a service they advertise on their website. I think that is what they call false advertising. If you have received other responses I would be interested in seeing those if you don't mind forwarding them.

Thanks & 73's,

Mario,
    Without getting into derogatory remarks, let me just say that "been there, done that" with respect to the "8" bureau. Since I first started using the bureau in 1999, I have received 3 envelopes from them...first 2 about a year after sending my first couple of pounds of cards to the outgoing bureau, and the last envelope this past January...10 cards each in the 2 envelopes last year, and 81 cards in the January 2001 envelope. I initially mailed 6 envelopes with postage affixed to the 8 bureau with extra loose postage attached. the Jan. envelope had a note saying they needed more envelopes...what happened to the other 3 + xtra postage? I sent 12 envelopes there this past January (with postage affixed)., 6 under my old call and 6 under my new call. I have probably sent out over 1500 cards out (to dx) both bureau (90%) and direct, or qsl manager in the past 2 years. My return rate is much better direct than thru the bureau. I sent some very "heavily worded" emails from my section manager, division director, to the top brass at league hq...even volunteered to serve as a sorter. Yes, there are problems at the 8 bureau...I was told a year ago that changes were to be made...there was an article in World radio this issue or last issue, or was it qst, from someone from the 8 bureau...can't remember, but for me the 'proof is in the pudding." I have basically adopted this
    philosophy when it comes to the 8 bureau and dx qsling in general.....I will continue to send out cards via the outgoing bureau. No point in denying cards to those dx stations I have worked....and the cost is much cheaper than direct. I will send out cards to dx that have managers or want direct on a limited basis, as expenses allow, I include irc's to
    those I really need or desire.. As for the incoming 8 bureau, I have resigned myself to getting cards from them once a year, if that...I have worked (and qsl'd 98% via bureau) 3 band dxcc in less then 3 years...not a hard thing to do by any means, and I hope to have worked 5 band dxcc within another year or 2...problem is, I have yet to have enough cards to confirrm dxcc let alone a single band, or multi-bands dxcc. Somewhere here I have the emails that I sent out a year ago, and those I got in response....when I get a chance to dig them out, I will foward them to you. My only advice is either keep pounding the brass (no pun intened) at league hq...maybe they can force real changes to take effect or move out of the 8 call area....or don't rely on the 8 incoming bureau for your qsl needs. Contact me anytime .....

XXXXX
    This guy has a post on www.qrz.com. Seems He's having problems with the #8 bureau too. 73 de XXXXX

Seems almost everyone has problems with the 8th Area QSL bureau in Columbus. At one time, the local XXXXX Club volunteered to take over the job , but the guys in Columbus wouldn't hear of it. Sad Story. 73 de XXXXX

Mario,

I am not the only DX'er who fears that if you say anything, or complain to much, your QSL cards would go missing, or get pushed into some dark corner, not to be found for many years. I do not know what the answer to the problem is, I just know that it is a very big problem. You are welcome to use the contents, bur please remove the ID. Did you check out the article in QST from an 8 land sorter????
    Thanks,

Some advise, don't complain to loud, or "they" could lose your cards. I have over 450 outstanding DX QSL cards in the system. I have only received about 40 cards through the 8 land buro. If I want a DX card, and I want it fast, I QSL direct. Use IRC's or green-backs. This last year I got back over 250 direct DX QSL cards, and I have had only about 25 no-replies. Most DX QSL cards are returned with-in 4 to 6 weeks. It may cost more, but you don't have the aggravation, and you get your card. Please do not forward this E-mail, because I would like to(maybe with-in the next Ten years) get some of my out-standing cards. Please read an article in QST this month or last by one of the sorters. There are two sides to most problems. Thanks, 73's

Hi Mario -

Saw ur comments on qrz.com - I have the same problem...I rec a e-mail back in Nov 00 regarding qsls awaiting XX and sent $5 to cover the cost of all the cards waiting for me. Never rec a response. In March 2001, I sent another E-mail asking abt the cards...took weeks for a response....XXX-qsl handler says," I travel a lot and have been busy...will sent out ur cards soon"..... no cards....sent another E-mail a week ago....still no response or cards? What gives?

Mario,

Saw your note at QRZ.com. I have had SASE at the 8 bureau for the last 13 months and have yet to receive anything from them at all. I know I should have several DX QSL's, but nothing for me either.

Mario

I have been working a lot (350+) DX stations in the past year. I sent out about the same amount of QSLs direct. I sent 3 envelopes as requested about a year ago. All had 2 stamps on them. I have never received a single QSL card from the bureau. I friend of mine who worked about the same amount of stations has received 3 envelopes full of QSLs. I have emailed the letter manager 3 times. I emailed the 8 QSL Bureau manager and George Race. Still no results. The system obviously breaks down when the letter manager does not do his job. I think we are just screwed with a poor letter manager.

Hi Mario,

I'm sorry about your buro problems, I can relate. I have had the same problem in the past. I basically had to pull teeth just to eak out enough cards to qualify for DXCC. T'was such a pain, I didn't even send for DXCC. It took all the enjoyment out of it. Finally got the cards but figure why bother. Have seriously thought about pulling out of the ARRL. Depends if they ever do anything. By the way, I'm also a Volunteer Examiner. I know it doesn't take as much time, but if I didn't want to do it, then I'd find something else to do. 73 and good luck on your quest,

Mario
    I GET CARDS ONCE A YEAR OR MORE. DON’T MAKE A MISTAKE OR IT MIGHT TAKE TWO YEARS. IF YOU PUT 60 CENT STAMPS OR 80 CENT STAMPS THEY WILL HOLD THEM TILL YOU HAVE YOUR MONEYS SPENT.

GOOD LUCK 73

Mario-

I've had nothing but problems from the 8th bureau for years. I have sent them numerous envelopes. Once, they set me a message that they needed envelopes because I had cards at the bureau even though I knew that they should have had at least 4 of my envelopes there. Another time, they sent my cards to a another ham who happened to have the same name as I do. Again, this was on an occasion when the bureau should have had 4 of my envelopes with my call sign, XXXXX, on them. Fortunately, this ham took the initiative to find me and sent me my cards. These are the only two times I have received cards
    from the bureau in 15 years. I also work DX from the XXXXXXX Radio Club, XXXXX. On behalf of the club, I sent XXXXX envelopes to the bureau. I have been working CW DX from XXXXX for about a year and half and have never received cards from the bureau for this call sign despite the fact that I 100% QSL to the ARRL outgoing bureau."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.