Fm Dx on 2 meters band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by IZ8XOV, Nov 16, 2016.

ad: l-rl
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

i worry my antenna is going to turn out to be long enough. honestly, it simply isn't long enough to be long enough but i dont have a tower.

one of these days i'm going to put up a rhombic on 2. that'll be long enough while still being long enough.

2. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wish people would take the time to play radio, not only on 2m FM but everywhere.
    The Excuse the Bands are not open is old
    Talk to your neighbors in the next town
    Remember rag-chewing
    I have 68 Machines on 2m FM alone
    Unfortunately you don't even hear a kerchunk these days

[​IMG]

KC8QMU and KC8VWM like this.
  3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in the UK, there used to be LOTS of activity on 2m (mainly FM) . . .

But that was because our Class B Licence stations were only allowed on VHF/UHF.

Since the rules have been relaxed and they've been allowed on all the HF Bands too, the 2m activity has dropped right off !

Roger G3YRO

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

We have Kerchunkers and Squirrels around here.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

One View of VHF Experiences
    I have been playing on VHF since the AM days until about 20 years ago when I just was on FM mobile.
    I recall when repeaters were the big new thing in the Ham Radio world in the early or mid 70s.
    For a long time "DX ing" on the repeaters was discouraged by the big repeater users and owners, and we were told that it tied up the "machines" and would cause trouble if there was an emergency where the repeaters were needed for "Important work"..Then the repeaters started using tone squelch to prevent same channel repeater users s outside the primary direct wave coverage area would not key the local machine. Sometimes the DX tropo signals were so strong the guys with handhelds got cut off and just could not always key the local machine.

So when there was a band opening the hams who used CW and SSB were happy they could work DX and the repeater users were outraged at the QRM !
    One band , Two completely different attitudes :D