ad: Schulman-1

Fm Dx on 2 meters band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by IZ8XOV, Nov 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

There's actually a lot of hams in FM08 (read Warrenton VA). I hear them all the time and they're usually doing better than I am. Maybe they try harder. The older I get the less my motivation gets, or I forget.

2. KA2BPP

KA2BPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike,
    You can use the ON4KST chat pages also, just log into your respective zone. Also, DXmaps gives a good idea of what the conditions are as it visually shows the spots on the map. Many bands to look at.

I have not played with FM simplex in a long time. Never got far with it other than a repeater and the furthest was about 150 miles away if I remember correctly.
    But weak signal is weak signal so I may just give it a go come summer and see what happens.

Good luck and have fun. 73

3. IZ8XOV

IZ8XOV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I'll watch carefully this web page but I'm not in the conditions for work Vhf/Ssb better because I live in a restricted area and I can't have long guns (17 elements or better for Eme/Tropo/E-sporadic and Meteor Scatter). For this reason I work only Fm and now I'm looking at more serious sat activity.

Mike

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Since the daytime HF bands have taken a dump lately, I've renewed my interest in 2m SSB lately.

Put the 2m Yagi back up and blew the cobwebs out of my tube VHF amplifier. Rig here is a Yaesu 736R and it should be a good rig for VHF weak signal work.

I called out over the weekend on 144.200 but not a thing was heard.

I didn't know about the 2m chat room until I read this message thread, but I think it might help to park my PC on there while attempting contacts on 2m SSB.

Going to try getting the antenna a little higher too and mabey that will help reach out there a little further to make some contacts. Let me know if anyone is interested in working a sked.

73 de Charles in Oklahoma.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  5. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Listen up starting tonight and for the next nights, Charles. I understand there are some 2m SSB nets that you may be able to hear. They're not held on .200. Somewhere there is probably a list.

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

Yup found the "active" list of nets here:

http://swotrc.net/TheSWOTRCHP.aspx

7. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VWM:

I'll have to turn on my Hallicrafters HA-2 transverter and aim my yagi straight north. According to your "detail", here on QRZ.com, you are almost straight north of me and are 221.7-miles away.

The HA-2 puts out a little over 60-watts. I have a goodly portion of the parts needed to build a linear amplifier in the 1 kW output range but just have not had time to even think of working on the unit!

I also have a Heath SB-500 transverter that puts out about the same power as the Hallicrafters. However, with the way I have things laid out on my main console, the HA-2 is much easier to use.

Glen, K9STH

9. KC8VWM

Had a nice bit of Tropo into Texas last evening.

I have a tube amp here and recently went over it, blew out all the dust bunnies and got it working again but I still need to get up there and do some additional antenna work to make things right.

I used to have an EME setup here consisting of 30 foot long Yagis but between the ice storms and Tornadic winds it was damaged beyond simple repair and was taken down a couple of years ago.

So I am using a "shorter" but subtstatially physically stronger antenna now. It's heavy and built like a tank. It's a little under half the length and that means it won't be as powerful but at least it will stay up there. That's the problem with these longer Yagi's. Keeping them up there. lol

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are familiar with the old adage: If an antenna stays up during the winter, it wasn't big enough!

Glen, K9STH

KC8VWM likes this.