Fm Dx on 2 meters band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by IZ8XOV, Nov 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you catch that meteor burn? I think it was around 7:30 eastern. Very cool.

A huge "Thank you, Artie". I was stuck without transmit capability this morning, but still had fun listening.

2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can also hear W3APL/B I think, it's right in the noise level, unless they've changed their call sign. It's not always I hear APL, but I can hear WA1ZMS all the time off the sides of the beam. What sounded like aurora was at almost 10 am eastern for me.

I wish I could get to my 2M beam easier, it's on a 10' pole on the chimney and I don't like standing on top of the chimney any more, even if it is 5x10' wide. The beam is pruned right at 144.0, I'd like to get it up around 150 or so. I put it up before I got this AA600, now I can see what's going on, but it's still below 1.2:1 and if I stick in a 2" piece of RG11, it's even lower. That actually brings the lowest SWR up to around 150.

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

By 150 do you mean 144.150 MHz or 150 MHz? I am "assuming" that you mean 144.150 MHz.

Frankly, at below 1.2:1 SWR, it will not make a "hill of beans" difference in actual performance to move the SWR to 1:1 at 144.150 MHz. Yes, technically, there is a difference. However, in practice, making the change is not going to result in any measurable, without using some very precise laboratory grade instruments, difference and, where on-the-air performance is concerned, you will not be able to tell any difference.

Glen, K9STH

4. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes 144150, I know about no performance diff. I'm just being anal and now I can actually measure it correctly with the AA600. I'm not doing anything, I just like to make up projects. I would like to get to the end of the cable so I could get a good OSL calibration on it so I can see where it's actually resonant. I can see no reflected power on the Telewave even in the 5W position across the bottom of 2M with 100W out.

5. KK4YWN

Be careful with being anal about your antenna David. I got caught-up in that trap and wasted a lot of time tweaking.

I just switched the driven element feed method for something simpler. So far the antenna is making me happy. I wasted a lot of time on a difficult feed arrangement because i put too much thought into it. Right now I'm at 42 ohms R and -3 ohms reactive. Totally good enough.

6. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been on much lately, but I didn't know about the 205 net so thanks for the heads up. I'm a bit south but morning usually brings at least slight enhancement. I've worked the KQ2H repeater before on 2m (then 10m right after) and can get into MD 4 or 5 times a year on a jpole. I have everything I need for a monster 6m+ station except a way to elevate it - things on my to do list....

7. KK4YWN

Hey William

Get signed-up for the chat at http://www.on4kst.org/chat/index.php and park a pc there. These guys are ACTIVE :D

I just got heard up in PA, which is a really really really long haul for me. (13dbi antenna @ 32' w/ 100w). Not too shabby for a pea-shooter station.

2 years ago I had an echolink ssb station set up on 2m. These fellows are making enough noise to warrant a rebuild of that setup. I'll post a new thread when its operable.

8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually my 2M antenna is a very old CC I bought at the Vienna hamfest maybe 25 years ago and it was probably old then. I did modify it once when I found an article on it in the early internet days, so I reduced it by 1 director. It's 12' long, 8 el I think, and fed with a gamma match. I had it down over a year ago because I thought the FSJ4 I'm feeding it with was bad, but it turned out that the AA600 doesn't like some PolyPhasor protectors in the TDR mode. But yes, if I can get someone to come out for a couple hours, we could get on the roof and lower it enough to reach the feed and I could get a good OSL calibration on the feed line. That's all I really want to do. I used to get on the chimney by myself, but any more I don't feel so confident and want someone younger handling some of the balancing acts. I'm half tempted to make a 4 el colinear that I've got the plans for. I did make one for Ch 26 (real 27) at 548MHz and it works quite good. It may be a bit large on 2M though, the TV one is about 5' high by 3' wide, but hardly any thickness to it. I used 1/2" pvc and chicken wire for the screen. A 432 would be reasonable. 4NEC2 shows 15 dB gain on the thing. The beam is about 30-35' above terrain. I've worked from NJ and northern PA down to SC with it and 100W.

9. KA2BPP

KA2BPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ash and David,

Glad I could help you out with the "dark side" of 2 mtrs. There is a lot of active stations on and more are coming on every day. I got bit by the weak signal bug a long time ago. I take small steps to improve things, projects seem to take forever, tower should have been up years ago but the $$ for the concrete keeps getting taken by something else. My ancient CC 215wb's have seen better days but they work and I am having fun. That's what its all about.

David, N3DT, if you get active, you will be popular. The one and only person I ever worked from FM08 was W8SPM back in 2015 during the Sept contest.
    Stan, KA1ZE/3 has a great setup and will bend over backwards to try and make contacts for you. The chat page works for lining up contacts.
    Sometimes on 205, on the weekends, with just a little bit of enhancement, it sounds like 20 mtrs during a contest. Folks have to spread out to make contacts.
    gets crazy at times but, wow, is it fun.

Ash,, we will work someday. Need some tropo as I did work N1GC in EM95 last year. I am looking forward to it.

I'll be listening for you both, As K1PXE says, "May the wave be with you" QSB wave that is

10. KK4YWN

You guys recharged my 2m ssb battery.

Can't wait to work you Artie.