Fm Dx on 2 meters band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by IZ8XOV, Nov 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. IZ8XOV

IZ8XOV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi! This is not a comparison between Fm and Ssb. So, I began my radio activity on 2 meters Usb with a 10 elements yagi and I remember that without amplifier I was able to make contacts via Tropo about 500/800 Km (or 200/500 miles). After two years I have turned my yagi in the vertical polarization for Fm with a not-conductive mast and with many similar results about 400/700 Km both simplex that via repeaters. Last summer a friend of mine has made a good Fm Qso from Sicily to Spain with with his "discone" antenna and a distance of approximately 1000 Km (or 600 miles).

So, Tropo is Tropo! even Fm contacts may be a good opportunity of fun. In the new digital era (I also own a Yaesu Ftm-100 ed I like C4fm), I think that analog Fm communications on 2 meters band can still give much satisfaction . Anyway, what are your experiences about "Fm Dx" both simplex that via repeaters? I look forward to your replies.

For analog Fm communications my working conditions are
    Rtx: Yaesu Ft-8800
    Antenna1: Diamond X-700
    Antenna2: Cushcraft A144S10
    Coax cables: Ecoflex 10 plus and Belden H-1000.

73's - Mike

2. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you try Fusion? C4FM (Fusion and P25) works pretty good in simplex use if the signal is not right on the edge.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

2 meters should be cooking with the cold weather coming to Texas.

Band openings have been killing repeaters lately.

K4RKY likes this.
  4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, we often get wintertime tropo here, whenever the ground is very cold, and we get a warm front moving in over the cold ground. This results in a temperature inversion as the air is much warmer the higher you go, resulting in fairly stable paths over ranges of 4-500 miles in most cases, sometimes much further. I'm in SE Minnesota, but have often worked the 146.82 repeater in Kansas City, Mo. from here. This was more common when we lived a couple hundred miles south of here. I remember one winter when there was a fairly stable opening for weeks between Iowa and Indiana and Iowa and Kansas. It was a very cold year.

In the summer, high pressure domes also cause temp inversions and long distance tropo into the Midwest. I often talk about the 'over water' path from Minnesota to New York via the Great Lakes. I've got the QSLs to prove it, though those are all from SSB contacts.

5. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

I love 50mhz and up from FM to SSB there is a world of radio within this spectrum
    On 2m FM from my home QTH I have worked a variety of states and even into Ontario Canada with just a
    HT and a Telescoping Antenna using 5 watts with Ducting and Temperature Inversions on FM Simplex
    For hams new to DXing on FM if you like FM you need to try 2 meter SSB I have worked 28 states 3 Canadian Provinces and The Island of Bermuda from my home
    My rig
    FT 847
    M2 18xxx -2m
    M2 39 elelment - 432mhz
    m2 16 elements - 220
    Cushcraft A506 6 element 6m DX 100 plus countries
    Unfortunately the activity level here has plummetted on almost all the bands :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    K5EFJ likes this.
  6. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed a huge drop off in 2M activity along the east coast. I used to be able to work from PA and NJ down into the Carolinas, but I haven't heard anyone for years.

7. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a big fan of VHF and FM in general. 10 meters FM is a lot of fun as is 2M and 70CM when the bands are open. I have noticed when using APRS this happens more often than people think, almost every single morning and often in the evenings this occurs. For this post I just looked at my APRS station heard list on 2M and I see W5NRU at a distance of 212.6 miles with a power output from that station of only 25W, from this morning.

It's important to note this HT was connected to a base antenna, not a rubber duck.

DSCN1870.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My best DX on 2-meter FM is Managua, Nicaragua, from the north side of Dallas, Texas. Purely simplex on 146.520 MHz. Somewhere, I have the QSL card.

The operator, on the other end, was the late Bill Smith, K0CER, W5USM, W0WOI, who was the VHF Editor of QST at the time. He was using his W5USM call portable YN.

Glen, K9STH

AD5KO likes this.
  9. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

With a VX-5R, standing waist deep in the Atlantic ocean, just south of Boston, I had several QSOs in the NJ, NY, DW, VA areas in 1999 on 2M.

Ed

AD5KO likes this.
  10. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, thats kinda the point isn't it? When mother nature gives your station a hand, it really doesn't matter which mode/polarization you use.

I run horizontal yagis. I can get into several repeaters located 100miles away every single day using 5-10 watts. I don't bother with a vertical its just not that important once you get above 13dbi gain. Local repeaters still work. I lose nothing by being horizontally polarized. There is some loss of simplex capability, but when the band opens, that loss is no-longer an issue.

I don't know why simplex ops are married to vertically polarized antennas, especially the ones who elect to raise a directional. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.