ad: UR5CDX-1

FM broadcast DX?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by AB2T, Feb 10, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD9CIT

KD9CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was browsing through a local second hand store there was a Sangean WR-11SE (Special Edition - 40th anniversary) on the shelf that caught my eye. Could not help noticing how good it sounded. As I was looking it over I noticed that it had an "F" jack for an FM antenna. It was at that point that I knew that this was a serious receiver. Reception was not good in the steel building, but I thought that for the thirty bucks they were asking for it, that it was a risk worth taking. I was not disappointed. I took it home, plugged it in and hooked it up to my 6 meter dipole at 40 feet and it was better than I could have imagined. It has a very fine tuner. I have a Pioneer stereo receiver in my shack, but the FM tuner is pretty much a joke compared to the Sangean. Even though the Pioneer is stereo and the Sangean is monaural, the audio is much superior. So much so that I have ordered a cable and an adapter so that I may route the audio from the Sangean to the Pioneer and listen throughout the house on the stereo (monaural) system.

I like to listen to WOJB which is almost 100 miles from my QTH and it is usually a challenge to pull in due to many other stations broadcasting on the nearby frequencies. It is a very sensitive and selective tuner, and coupled to the rotatable dipole, I can always find a way to listen in. I'm sure that it would work equally well on other frequencies. These days I take my small pleasures where I can find them.

2. KD9CIT

KD9CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

As I was browsing through a local second hand store there was a Sangean WR-11SE (Special Edition - 40th anniversary) on the shelf that caught my eye. Could not help noticing how good it sounded. As I was looking it over it noticed that it had an "F" jack for an FM antenna. It was at that point that I knew that this was a serious receiver. Reception was not good in the steel building, but I thought that for the thirty bucks they were asking for it, that it was a risk worth taking. I was not disappointed. I took it home, plugged it in and hooked it up to my 6 meter dipole at 40 feet and it was better than I could have imagined. It has a very fine tuner. I have a Pioneer stereo receiver in my shack, but the FM tuner is pretty much a joke compared to the Sangean. Even though the Pioneer is stereo and the Sangean is monaural, the audio is much superior. So much so that I have ordered a cable and an adapter so that I may route the audio from the Sangean to the Pioneer and listen throughout the house on the stereo (monaural) system.

I like to listen to WOJB which is almost 100 miles from my QTH and it is usually a challenge to pull in due to many other stations broadcasting on the nearby frequencies. It is a very sensitive and selective tuner, and coupled to the rotatable dipole, I can always find a way to listen in. I'm sure that it would work equally well on other frequencies. These days I take my small pleasures where I can find them.

3. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

My Amazing Story of 2000 mile FM broadcast band DX:
    Back around 1990 I had a 6 element BCB yagi on a TV antenna rotator up in the attic. It was interesting to search out and listen to all the FM pirate broadcasters popping up around London.
    Then one sunny summer afternoon I was amazed to hear FM broadcast stations from Spain and and North Africa ( 2000 miles to the South) fading in and out for several minutes.

And FM CB was somedays full of Italian and Turkish chatter and other days nothing but female Russian taxi drivers !

A while later I was working in a darkroom developing films when the fluorescent lights started glowing brightly when they were switched off ! I realised it was caused by strong rf and that I had discovered the location of one of the local pirates....in a tall building just across the road to my workplace.

The second time I experienced fluorescents flashing was in an hotel room in a town in the Peruvian rainforest , probably a local ham.....but given that the local coca gangs also used radio I wasn't too inclined to investigate !:eek:

The End

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021