Flying with an HT?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K2DSR, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K2DSR

K2DSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to be flying to Mexico end of Oct. and was wondering if there is any point taking my Baofeng HT or not? If so what are the issues I will run into flying with it?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You don't mean actually using it on a commercial airline do you? I don't believe that's legal per FAA
    in transmit OR receive mode.

Or are you talking a private plane? Then it's fine - if you can rig an outside antenna and call on 52 simplex
    as "aeronautical mobile" expect pileups when you're over cities!

Dave
    W7UUU

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The TSA has "ham radio equipment" listed as one of the things that is allowed to be brought aboard aircraft, though if the inspecting officers determine it presents a security risk, they have the right to refuse to allow it. I've travelled many times within the US with radio equipment; that's not a problem.

It's not allowed to be operated on board the aircraft, neither in receive-only nor in transmit mode. Even a receiver has a local oscillator that could interfere with navigation radios.

But then the question becomes, what are you going to do with it while you're in Mexico? Getting a Mexican operating permit is quite a paperwork hassle, from my understanding. I've heard it's time consuming and the process can only be started after you're in Mexico. Your USA license isn't good in Mexico without the Mexican paperwork.

Then there's the issue of getting it through Mexican customs when you arrive, and getting it past the Mexican security screeners to take it on board the plane in Mexico as you're returning. I don't know anything about either of these potential areas, but you may want to consider them.

4. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've recently heard horror stories of US hams taking radios into Mexico and just operating as "XE#/WZ0ABC" (made-up call). Here's a link to what might be relevant, from the ARRL site: http://www.qsl.net/oh2mcn/xelawen.pdf

Que tienes un buen viaje!

5. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Aircraft Operation

You should not. I recommend taking your ham radio license, just in case.

Also, don't forget this resource for "Mexico"

Operation aboard a commercial airline IS allowed, IF you can get the captain to approve. If you ask, expect to hear "no" but if you DON'T ask, the answer is still no.

"The installation and operation of an amateur station on a ship or aircraft must be approved by the master of the ship or pilot in command of the aircraft." http://bit.ly/1uN1Wd7

"For a station aboard an aircraft, the apparatus shall not be operated while the aircraft is operating under Instrument Flight Rules, as defined by the FAA" http://bit.ly/YHbzjz

Enjoy your trip.

6. K2DSR

I will probably just leave it at home. I wouldnt use it on the plane I just meant taking it with me. I have done some reading on getting the permits in Mexico and from what I can tell it is a paperwork nightmare. It is our 10th anniversary trip and even though my wife is a Ham as well she gets kinda tired of the radio stuff. Thanks for the help guys.

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Good call. I fly with my HT all the time, never been an issue. I have never operated from within the plane, as others have pointed out you'd have to get permission from the pilot. I used to travel to Mexico quite a bit, and always left the radios at home as there is no reciprocal licensing there like there is with Canada and other countries.

Congrats on the 10th! Where you going in Mexico?

Steve
    KV6O

8. K2DSR

We are going to Tulum in the Riviera Maya. That is where she wanted to go and I said "Yes Ma'am". HA

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've brought a VHF HT with me on airplanes hundreds of times, no issues at all.

Obviously, you can't use it on the plane (although I think you can until the cabin door closes, and then once again after it opens -- both times are "on the ground" unless you have much bigger issues to worry about).

My only worry would be having it confiscated for some reason by MX authorities, possibly when going through immigration on the way "out" of MX. If they think you purchased it there and haven't declared it, that could potentially be a hassle.

I've brought an HT to several EU countries and also into AS and just brought with me a purchase receipt indicating I bought it in the U.S. and never had a problem. Pays to keep your receipts.

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Tulum is beautiful, enjoy! I was there about 10 years ago, the ruins are pretty cool. I doubt it's changed much in the past 10 years, or the past 100 years for that matter.

IMG_1921_web.jpg IMG_1935_web.jpg

When you've had enough ruins, head south a couple of miles to this place:

IMG_2015_web.jpg IMG_2018_web.jpg

You can see the ruins in the upper left hand corner of the first picture, so maybe a mile? Cervezas don't get any better. :cool:

Steve
    KV6O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.