ad: elecraft

FLRig won't recognize 2 of 3 USB serial ports on Mac that Mac recognizes

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by WA1RKT, Jan 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA1RKT

WA1RKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Configuration:
    Macbook Air, OSX High Sierra
    FTDI USB to CAT Icom IC-746Pro
    FTDI USB to CAT Kenwood TS-850SAT
    FTDI USB to CAT Kenwood TS-950SDX

All three of the FTDI USB serial ports are recognized as serial ports by OSX. Also, all three of them are recognized as COM ports by a Windows XP Virtual Machine running on VirtualBox, OSX host.

On the WinXP VM I am able to run three instances of FLrig controlling each of the three radios, all works fine.

However, running FLrig native on the Macbook, without VirtualBox running, only the Icom port is recognized by FLrig, the two Kenwood ports are not recognized.

I have tried unplugging all of the USB cables and plugging each one in individually by itself. Each of them is recognized as a serial port by OSX. However only the Icom one is recognized by FLRig, neither of the other two are visible.

I am able to run FLrig native on the Mac controlling the Icom, and two more instances of FLrig on the WinXP VM each controlling a Kenwood, and all of that works fine. But it seems kind of silly to have to do that, not to mention a bit wasteful of resources. How can I get FLrig native on the Mac to recognize those other two ports?

Rick WA1RKT
    Londonderry, NH
    Catch me on 14.300 MHz Intercon / MMSN most days

2. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rick:

Are the kext files for the Kenwood radios located in the same directory as the Icom kext file?

Additionally, after the three radios are connected to the MacBook Air via USB cables and turned on, do you see the FTDI drivers for all three radios is the /dev directory?

In a terminal window, type the command: ls -al /dev/[FTDI device driver filenames]

If you don't know the FTDI driver filenames, use the ls command for the /dev directory with the pipe to more: |more. For example: ls -al /dev |more.

I speculate that either the kext files from FTDI for the Kenwood radios are not in the extensions directory; or, the device driver files for the Kenwood radios are not in the /dev directory, is the cause for why flrig is not seeing the Kenwood radios. Since flrig is seeing the Icom device driver, that implies the device driver file for the Icom radio is in the /dev directory.

When you find the problem and effect the fix, please report your findings.
    Bernie, AF9US