ad: wmr-1

flrig/fldigi rig control with Icom 706IIg and SignalLink USB?

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by AG6RF, Dec 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AG6RF

AG6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So I've connected a SignalLink USB to my Icom 706IIg via the data port and to my Mac Book Pro and am running fldigi and flrig. But changing the frequency in eith fldigi or flrig doesn't change the freq on the radio. Should it? The PTT works from fldigi. But the freq seems to be manual. Should the software be able to control the radio's frequency? What am I missing here?

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The SignaLink USB is a sound card interface, not intended for radio control and doesn't provide that feature.

Source

This is the cable you need https://www.amazon.com/Interface-Cable-IC-706-Works-Desktops-Laptops/dp/B008MTQZCS

For more information check out page 45 of the user manual http://www.repeater-builder.com/icom/pdfs/ic-706mk2g-user-man.pdf

3. AG6RF

Yes. I just came to the same conclusion. And I do have an old CI-V cable made by K1NU. But it's not working. At least it's not working with flrig/fldigi. Looks like I need to get a better cable. Oh well. Thanks. At least I can run the rig with fldigi manually. So far so good.

4. AG6RF

Thing is, tho, that none of the videos and descriptions of fldigi mention the fact that you need some sort of additional cable between the radio and the laptop to control the radio from the software. I need to point this out as a deficiency.

5. AG6RF

Still not working. I think the CI-V adapter I have, which is quite old, needs a driver for MacOS that I don't have, and the website no longer exists. So I ordered a new one. I kept trying to get it to work with flrig, and most attempts caused fldigi to crash. Ugh. I should tell the fldigi team that their documentation lacks sufficient info about MacOS installation.

6. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course you don't really "need" radio control to do the sound card digital modes.

7. AG6RF

Correct.

8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is probably not your cable.

9. AD8CJ

AD8CJ Ham Member QRZ Page

^ To further elaborate on the previous comment for future internet searchers. The 706MKIIG cannot do PTT from the CI-V cable. You need a cable that plugs into the CI-V and either the 6 pin din or 13 pin din and includes PTT, Audio in/out. None of the 706 can do PTT on the CI-V cable as it was not part of the command set when the radio's were built.

I thought I could feed audio in via the RTTY and use the Ext Spkr to feed audio to the PC, and then use CI-V for PTT and CAT, but it DOES NOT WORK.

10. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The fact that PTT can not be generated through CI-V, is common with many of the older ICOM transceivers. It is the same way with my IC-735. Its all in the manual, but users often skip over the command tables, in their enthusiasm to get the radio running. These days, they do make cables that contain the necessary interface to connect from the PC directly to the PTT pins on the ACC connectors.

If you want to do it yourself, you can use a USB to Serial Port converter cable. Connect the RS-232 RTS pin to the base of a transistor, through a current limiting resistor, which then causes the collector to activate the PTT. I use a similar interface to directly key CW. Although, not all software (e.g. Fldigi) can use the CW interface.

If you fed the audio into the microphone and used the VOX to switch to transmit, your setup would have worked.

I have a IC-735 that I use with a home brew CI-V and audio interface. I use the ACC(1) connector for audio to, and from, the PC. The advantage is that, the audio out is Line Level and is not affected by the volume control. This eliminates a redundant audio level control. However, the disadvantage is that the ACC(1) audio input, bypasses the VOX. So I still need a separate interface to trigger the PTT.