FlexRadio smartSDR for Mac OS and Contest Logging

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by K2QO, Aug 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2QO

K2QO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, now that Marcus Roskosh has developed smartSDR for Mac OS, a HUGE question remains. Will its implementation of smartCAT allow programs like Skookum and RumlogNG to run properly. Both normally use serial data to run the radio but a virtual port from smartCAT should work.

I don't want to spend $150 on this unless it works. Someone MUST know the answer!

Mark K2QO
    FN03ra

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FWIW, Mark, I just did a test with the dummy transceiver in SmartSDR for Mac (I'll be getting my 6700 installed a bit later this afternoon) and configured the CAT control. It is a TCP/IP only connection using the standard port 5001 for SmartSDR. Obviously, SkookumLogger won't connect as it works only with true serial ports, but RUMlogNG connected to the port using the TS2000 option and TCP/IP port settings of 127.0.0.1:5001. The frequency of the demo slice (14208.1) popped up right away, although I couldn't test retuning/modes/etc as the demo doesn't allow that. However, I hope to get some more tests in this afternoon to confirm.

And, also FWIW, MacLoggerDX has supported the Flex natively for some time and does offer a contest mode although it is a bit more difficult to get a Cabrillo file out of it.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Mark,

A test here this afternoon shows that RUMlogNG (using TS-2000 mode) picks up the frequency from SmartSDR for Mac when it initializes, but then doesn't follow frequency or mode changes thereafter.