ad: w5yi

Flex Radio Fan failures (new series)

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by K0KB, Sep 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K0KB

K0KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought this would have been fixed on the newer series radios, but seems not.

I have two 6400s bought at different times (one a pre-order and one in November 2018).

Both are down due to fan failures. Both are kept in pristine environments separated by approximately 200 miles (i.e. this isn't environmental).

Anyone else have fan failures on the new models? Since flex is making me pay the return shipping for these is there a home-fix for this?

I have owned a 6300 (fan died within warranty)
    I owned a 6700 (fan died within warranty)
    I owned another 6700, power output issue - died within warranty

I owned a 6400, came DOA
    I own another 6400, fan failure within warranty (backup radio - probably has been used a dozen times)
    I own another 6400, fan failure within warranty (backup remote radio - probably has been used a dozen times)
    I own a 6600, is ok so far.
    I own a PGXL - had to be returned to be fixed in the warranty period.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So...are you saying your are not a fan? :)

WG7X, N0TZU, KD8DEY and 3 others like this.
  3. W6ZZW

W6ZZW Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW.that is not good! I may have to re-think my purchase. YOU have to pay return shipping even if its under warranty? Thats is bad!

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the fan dead, Or is the fan driver off ?

5. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

The fan bearings were failing which causes the radio to shut down within minutes. I had one fail in my 6600M and replaced it myself. Flex is supposedly switching to another fan manufacturer.

Flex took care of another warranty issue I had and paid shipping both ways. They also paid shipping both ways when a VFO knob got damaged in shipping. Flex support is VERY good and they take care of problems VERY quickly. I have no complaints.

6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

7. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

For those that have replaced the fan themselves or at least took the cover off, how much dust in the radio?

Asking because I have been a high performance computer user for nearly 20 years. It has become clear to me that these boxes with fans are exceptionally good dust collectors out of the air we breath.

8. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

JIM,

HERE IS AN INTERESTING SITE TO VISIT REGARDING YOUR FLEX PRODUCT

=============== flexradio.jpg
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6600-power-switch-has-flashes-red

BE SURE TO READ THE ENTIRE PAGE

73 - K1LKP

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd think if the OP had bought all those radios from Flex, they'd have stepped up and dealt with the issue quickly. I know if I'd have dropped that much coin and had issues, by now they would have a dedicated phone number for me.

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

A new supplier for the fan would seem to be a move in the right direction. Not all that familiar with the equipment but hope it would not be a major issue to have the company send me a new fan so I could replace it on my own. Would hate to see a rig remind idle if that were the only issue.