ad: elecraft

Flex-6600M - - Preview from the Dayton Hamvention 2017

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All I said was the Shorts 360 is an ugly airplane. It is.:D

2. EA1BDF

EA1BDF Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

4. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some day they will look as good as Ten Tec used to.

rm-588.jpg

KR3DX likes this.
  5. K1FBI

6. W4JF

W4JF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate to say it, but man, that's one ugly radio.

7. AA5AT

AA5AT Ham Member QRZ Page

With propagation like it is and will be for some long time.I can think of many more things to spend money on. Of course everyone for himself, you can local contest and get to know every call by name and sound, but not my cup of tea.

8. WB5AGF

WB5AGF Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than the higher-order bandpass filtering how does the (equivalent) new-generation Flex Radio, with built-in display, compare to the first-gen 6000 with a Maestro interface ?

From what I can find the Flex people are being very careful to remind folks that both the first generation 6000s and the newly announced radios run exactly the same SmartSDR OS.

This causes me to consider the question : How much of a software defined radio is software and how much is hardware ?

- Paul, WB5AGF

9. K9ZW

K9ZW QRZ Lifetime Member #262 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Paul - there has been a fair bit of nuanced comparison discussion on the FlexRadio Systems Community Forum.

Personally there is no compulsion to change from Flex-6700s with Maestros to one of the new models. But there is personally a great interest in an all-in-one package for use outside of the shack but not remote-to-shack (like US Island program activations or other event activations).

The Hardware matters, as it is the framework "the real radio" (the software) operates within, but I'd argue the software is the fundamental.

Steve
    K9ZW

10. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the 7610 was gonna have two independent scus . I could be wrong. Even so Icom still seems to have a plaguing issue with ovf because they have incorporated a clumsy anti ovf function in the proposed 7610 in hopes of reducing that pesky problem. Not something I would want to constantly fiddle with in a high power so2r environment but hey it would give the knobbers more knob time.

11. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

The reality of those that resist forward progress.

12. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps Flex could hire the potentially unemployed Ten Tec designer, but I prefer that they continue to invest their resources from this new hardware into industry leading performance found in their software vice appealing to your sense of aesthetics.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  13. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

Flex has repeatedly stated that SSDR was their main OS and new hardware would be compatible. Will SSDR have additional upgrades/features in the future. Yes. FRS follows the model of continual improvement.

14. K1FBI

hawk.jpg