Flex 6400m or Icom 7610?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by N2DTS, Aug 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I sold my Flex 6700 and got two IC7610s, that was one of the best days of my ham life!

WD4ELG and KV5J like this.
  2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking for armchair copy here.

That is, a rig which is remote-controllable from inside the house but outside of the shack. One of the top contenders for such an arrangement is a 6400, a Maestro and a PowerGenius. Not looking to hack the hardware or firmware, so the lack of schematics will only become problematic if Flex won't service the gear down the road. I'm not going to subject the rig to 24x7 contest use although the amplifier may see somewhat frequent use with other transceivers when I'm at the main operating position.

One of my area buddies uses his Flex station in such a manner but I'd like to get more data than a single point. (FWIW, he really likes the station and finds it comparable to his 7851, K3S and similar gear. My evaluation criteria concerning the gear is also from a long-term reliability standpoint, thus I'm interested in real-world experiences.)

3. K0UO

Real World experience, I've owned every Flex previous to the 6000 series and had an excellent time with them.

Now to The 6000s, "I was constantly screwing with software and I had to return the unit four times$$$$$$$$$ waited on the Maestro to come out for nearly two years, it didn't even have a battery, I had to find one that would work on it. Then the Best day in my ham life was when I sold it to someone who just had to have a 6700 (he knew the history of the unit) and I got a Icom7610"
    It was frustrating spending All the time I trying to get it up and running and to keep it running & sending it in, now I'm on the air operating and having fun.

I liked it so good that I bought another 7610. Icom helped me set the software up with no problems for remote. I think people have played down how good the Icom remote software really is, because they haven't taken the time to get it working (note/ the Flex and the Maestro also takes time to get working and keep working).

Just today/ I have two friends with 6400s and they're currently back at Flex for repairs.$$$$$$$$
    Good luck with whatever you do.

4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a Maestro hardware equivalent for the '7610? I'd consider building an embedded PC or dedicating a laptop to remote control if warranted.

5. K0UO

RS-BA1 Version 2
    The IC-7610 has a built-in server which means that you don't need to connect it to a computer in order to operate it from a remote location. All it requires is a connection to the internet'
    RS-BA1 software had to be upgraded to V2 in order to provide control over both receivers in the 7610. I use a Surface Pro tablet
    check these out

https://klop.solutions/ic-7300-remote-control-rs-ba1/
    https://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7300/rs_ba1v2_dc4ku.pdf
    https://tommcquiggan.blogspot.com/2020/03/remote-operation-rs-ba1.html

6. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet another "full SDR" alternative, if you have a good linear amp solution already, is the Hermes Lite 2 networked SDR transceiver. It's a direct sampling SDR like the Flex. And there's a choice of SDR applications to run it remotely from Linux, macOS, plus Android and even iOS tablets (and Windows too, for those who want to deal with the issues). Low cost, so not a budget breaker to try out and SDR. Open source hardware, so no depending on some vendor, you can fix it yourself. And much of the software is open source as well. If you don't like it you can write your own SDR app (that's what I'm doing).

Downside is no knobs and buttons, and only a 12-bit ADC/DAC.