Flex 6400m or Icom 7610?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by N2DTS, Aug 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Love it!
    [​IMG]

2. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use my 6600 by running the SmartSDR software on my PC with large monitors or my laptop if I'm away from home. I did get a FlexControl knob but otherwise I'm perfectly fine with not having a front panel of buttons and knobs. Different strokes I suppose.

3. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What are the issues Icom failed to correct??? Just curious as I'm thinking of getting one.

4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

The display monitor on the 7610. Tons of discussion on Zed and eham. But it appears that this is no longer an issue, as far as I know. Tons of happy users.

5. N2DTS

I find the filter setup easier with the knobs then the mouse.
    Sure, you can change the filter width by clicking on a preset or sliding the sliders on the power sdr software, but turning a knob is easier for me.
    Width and shift, its easy to get it just where you want it.
    I also like the tuning knobs, you can dial in a signal very easy and quickly.
    On the 6400M you can create a 2nd RX, tap a signal and then fine tune it in very quickly with no fuss.
    I find the radio very easy to use.
    I loaded the software on my computer and ran it on that for a bit, much harder to do things, I won't bother with that.
    I DID order a hdmi converter to hook up a big monitor, that might be better then the computer control.
    I doubt I will even bother with that, the standalone radio is so good as it is.
    The audio output (powered speaker/line level) is fantastic, the display is calibrated and has frequency, amplitude and the filter markings on it which I like.
    Good and useful audio EQ on RX and TX, no real restrictions in bandwidth, set it to what you like, make profiles for HIFI or DX, or tight band conditions.

6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The two biggies that come to mind are the ALC overshoot and CIV collisions

ALC Overshoot - A full power spike when keying up. Not good if you are running an amp that likes 30 watts input or so. This happens on many if not all Icom HF rigs.

CIV Collisions - When using CIV to control band select for amps, band pass filters, switches, etc. a random data collision causes the wrong band selection. This can occur anytime there are more than two devices on running CIV. Another good way to mess up equipment. Aftermarket routers are available to correct the CIV issue.

Both problems have been around for years but, Icom doesn’t seem interested in addressing these potentially costly issues.

7. N2DTS

My first Icom 7300 was erratic in power output, then it got scratchy audio.
    HRO replaced it without any fuss, then about 2 weeks later the 2nd radio has the screen controller fail and I had to send it back for repair.
    They have had a lot of screen issues.

8. KF5VRC

KF5VRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a question on the Flex M models. If you primarily use it via a PC, can the face or screen be turned off?

9. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. N4UTX

N4UTX Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a 7300 for one year. Great radio for the money. Never had any issues whatsoever. It just worked. From my experience, if you only have around $1k to spend on a new radio, you'd be hard-pressed to do better than an Icom 7300. Sold it to finance upgrade to Flex 6600 (after giving a 7610 due consideration). No regrets with the 7300 or with current radio, Flex 6600.

K4DDT likes this.