Flex 6400m or Icom 7610?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by N2DTS, Aug 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Any big advantages between those radios?
    The 7610 works with a mouse and I hear the flex does not, the Flex has better audio.
    Price is about the same.
    Noise blanker does not matter to me, both do diversity and have two receivers.
    100 watts, the Flex antenna tuner might be better then the Icom one...
    Nice displays on both, both will drive a big screen.

2. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Needing to use Windows and its painful, settings destroying updates is preventing me going down the "full SDR" route.
    Been there, done that, never again.

I also hear too many problems from Flex owners about being locked-into software that isn't updated as often as it should be.

The Icom is a lot more restricted but WILL WORK without the headaches.

Frank

3. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Flex sucks. I have had many. Just sold a 6500 and a 6400m. They did an update which did in their tuner and it takes sometimes 10 pushes with the tune button to get it to tune. This has been like this for over a year now.I even heard from some attorney friends that are hams that a possible lawsuit might be filed against them for selling KNOWN defective equipment and not doing anything about it in a timely fashion.

K7JOE likes this.
  4. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Take into account - especially if you’re more an DIYer - that Flex does not provide or sell schematics.

100% walled-garden solution.

K4DDT likes this.
  5. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6400m does not do diversity reception - only one antenna is active at a time.
    I have the 6300 (no maestro controller). Has been the most reliable rig I ever owned in 55 years - but I don't upgrade it because I like it as it is. It just simply works, every day for five years. No antenna tuner here.

6. N2DTS

I think maybe the ftdx 101d as it has 3 antenna ports and you can control it with a mouse.
    I am looking for something to replace both an Icom 756 pro 2 and a Flex 5000 with 2rx and a tuner.
    I want to not have to fire up a computer to operate but still like a good band scope.

I like the Flex 5000, its been very stable and it works well for what I do with the KE9NS software, but I am unsure about the newer stuff.
    I have had a 6300, it was sort of like a 3000 with ethernet....

Flex needs to hire some software guys I guess...

7. N2DTS

The 101 is out, I read the bandwidth (RX) on AM is fixed and the pbt does not work.
    The radio has to be good on all modes for me to buy one, AM is important to me.
    One reason the old ft101 was so popular was it was good on all modes and one of the best AM rigs at the time.

8. N2DTS

I went with the Flex 6400m.
    I have had a bunch of sdr radio's, many older Flex radios, Anan's, Elad, and have had no issues with any of them at any time.
    For SDR radio's I have a computer I use just for sdr, it is not normally connected to the web, and updates are turned off, along with other things in windoze that I do not need running.
    I have had the same $250.00 used I5 small form factor computer for the last 5 years or so, it still works fine.
    Good luck running your radio on a laptop you use for everything else.
    I can see sdr radios being trouble to people who do not know how to use it.
    I think I would like the Anan radios better then Flex due to mostly the software, but they do not make anything like the 6400M.
    Flex really started the SDR rig thing with the flex 1000, and its nice to support an American company, and the K4 is way over my price range.

I am well aware Flex has some really slow software development issues, but from what I can tell, the only thing I would be looking for is mouse control.
    Not sure if that can be added to the standalone radio or not.
    The 7610 was really tempting at the current price.

9. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m a fan of Flex and Icom. Nether is perfect but I prefer Flex. Icom has plenty of known issues that they have failed to correct.

My Flex radios include two 5000 V/U. I’ve never had a 6000 series and really can’t afford them at this time so my experience is based on the 5000 series. Anyway, the statement about using a dedicated and optimized windows machine for Flex radios holds a lot of truth. Before you swear at your Flex try cleaning up your PC. Windows (all versions) have a tendency of self destructing over time and there is way too much garbage-ware out of the box. Plan on a fresh windows install and some serious pruning.

10. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I own both a IC-7610 and a Flex 6400.

I use the IC-7610 for local shack use, and I use my Flex 6400 with a Maestro (or laptop of I don't have my Maestro) if I'm away from my shack.

Both are great radios. I use the IC-7610 at home because I love to have buttons in front of me. The Maestro has some buttons, but it's not equal to the IC-7610 in that manor.

No matter what any anti-Flex people say. It's a good radio and the proof is how many they sell at their price point. If they really sucked, nobody would buy one.

Both are great radios and you can't go wrong with either. For me, I like the buttons in front of me, so if I could only have one. It would be the IC-7610. I'm damn lucky to have the Flex 6400 with a Maestro. That gives me infinite flexibility when I'm traveling or just away from home.

Good luck!

K4DDT, N4UTX, N8MLP and 1 other person like this.