ad: AlphaRF-1

FLdigi won't start

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WO9B, Aug 10, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WO9B

WO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

Perplexing. As of this morning the FLdigi program will not start. Using version 3.22.10 in a Windows 7 Home Premium. Upon click of the desktop shortcut, it briefly opens a blank window and then it disappears. Nothing.

Remedies Attempted:
    1. Rebooted No affect
    2. Defraged No affect
    3. CC Cleaner, cleaned registry No affect
    4. Removed FLdigi, rebooted, reinstalled No affect
    5. Removed FLdigi, Installed 3.22.13 Version No affect

I am really stumped. Any advice??

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried to start it with the Task Manager operating (Ctrl-Alt-Del). You should see Fldigi start up in the CPU and Memory areas. Initially, Fldigi uses a lot of CPU and then drops off. Maybe that will give you a clue.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium on a HP G62 Laptop (4GB). I have Fldigi 3.21.12 and 3.21.78 installed. Both seems to run and 3.21.78 runs with Fllog. I seem to recall having trouble with one of the 3.22 releases and backed down to 3.21. However, I did just download and install 3.22.12 and it came right up, along with Fllog.

So I guess, I'm stumped too, as to why your Fldigi stopped running.

3. WO9B

WO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

Found a FLDigi stacktrace.txt and status_log.txt in the C:/Users/xx/fldigi.files folder which indicated a fatal error is being generated upon program start. The file is too long to copy here and means nothing to me. I renamed the folder and restarted the fldigi. It went to a completely new install and now starts. Something is corrupted in the folder which contains the user data and setup information, but what? I don't know.

I will transfer over the log and macros and all should be good to go.

BTW there is no indication it has anything to do with the upgrade to version 3.22.13. The program failed to start this morning (though I was using it last night) and I was using 3.22.10. AFAIK there was Windows Update.

As they say, stuff happens. Maybe just a file being corrupted. Nice to get it going.

YO3IWZ likes this.
  4. N4IAG

N4IAG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would try rolling the PC back to a recent system restore point, previous to the problem. That will often fix these type of things.

5. WO9B

WO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

Rollbacks entail risks to other software. The computer is not dedicated to the ham shack and has a significant life beyond this hobby. Thank you for the suggestion, but in this case I was able to solve the problem as detailed above. Just lucky this time.

6. WO9B

WO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

N4IAG: Regards rollbacks, I was not aware of the capability in Win 7 to rollback individual folders and even as fine grained as individual files. I had a problem with my logging software and stumbled on this feature. Learn something new everyday. It was literally as easy as a single click.

Funny, but without your post, I probably would have overlooked the option while troubleshooting my issue this morning. A hearty Thank You is in order.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is cool that you have it working.

I think the user info and setup file gets lost on upgrade for some reason.

Nice work. Enjoy.

8. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am hearing that FLDIGI is not working with WIN10. Maybe some upgrades are already coming down from MS to fix that problem and of course making it not work on WIN 7...

So far I am good still using my FLDIGI on my XP PRO M90 computer machines. At least that was true a couple of months ago...

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you are correct Roy.

That happened when they started to support Win 8 also.

Hard to tell who is at fault, really. I would not count on MS to fix it.

The coders may need coffee. Java coding is fun.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My FLDIGI is working fine in Windows 10, but my FLRIG is not. For some reason, FLDIGI can see COM Port 2, but FLRIG can't see it. And
    FLDIGI seems to be able to use COM2 for PTT, but not for rig control. Weird. At least all my Rigblaster Advantage soundcard settings work.
    Hopefully these things will get ironed out. Meanwhile, it works for me using RTS on COM2 to key the rig.