fldigi waterfall display failure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by WB9STS, Aug 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9STS

WB9STS Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what causes the waterfall on fldigi to show a tiny activity on left edge but nowhere else. Setup: LNR-Precision LD-11 data port to Signalink to Windows 10 laptop. Transmission gets out well enough, PTT through mic port works well. USB Codec on send and receive on fldigi, native mic/speaker on the laptop. Latest version of fldigi, deleted and reloaded with no change in results. Attempted changing the waterfall values after checking online for numerous waterfall discussions. One last thing, if I change to audible, rig to laptop, then waterfall works as expected. Cables and lines have all been traced and check out ok.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Again, a tiny waveform shows on the left vertical side of the waterfall display.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like very limited bandwidth. Maybe low frequency noise on signal.

Are you feeding Line Level audio into the computer MIC input ?

What mode are you using ?

Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. WB9STS

WB9STS Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I have a Signalink cable that brings I/O off the DATA port on my rig. I use the rig's Mic for PTT. I don't have a scope to see what is coming off the rig's DATA port. I have tried adjusting signal strength in a variety of ways. Fldigi works on transmit, checking with another rig and no antenna on it. Doing airwave rig to laptop then waterfall acts normally. Plan of attack now is to get new Signalink cable for the TenTecs that I have to check that at least that would work. Also using the present rig I can buy or make a cable that uses Mic/Speaker and skip the DATA port on rig. Another possibility although unlikely is low output from Signalink in which case there is a jumper that would take care of that. Anyway, when it is finally resolved I will be doing the happy dance.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The audio may not be to low, But to high if you are feeding a mic input on the computer with line level.