FLDIGI v4.0.18 crashing with OS-X 10.14

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by K7BLS, Dec 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7BLS

K7BLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m using fldigi v4.0.18 WITHOUT flrig (that was often a headache) with an Icom-7300. It has worked fine on my MacBook Air (Mid 2012) on the previous macOS.

This is the first time I fired it up with macOS Mojave 10.14.1. It will run for a while decoding, lock up and then some times it will start working again. It also locks up when transmitting. Other times it will not respond and I had had to force quit and restart. No other software is running. Rebooting the MacBook did not help.

Any suggestions?

2. K0JFJ

K0JFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I found the waterfall is using a lot of CPU% when using OS X 10.14.2 Mojave. I had to set the waterfall speed to SLOW. On NORMAL, it may freeze the program if there is cursor activity in the waterfall display. On FAST, the program freezes...
    Fldigi 4.0.18 (64 bit for "macos") worked fine with Sierra. Only after upgrading to Mojave did Fldigi freeze. It may be due to the new file system in Mojave.
    Perhaps an update of either Mac or Fldigi will fix the issue.
    73, K0JFJ

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your mid 2012 Mac Air is also borderline compatible with Mohave. Anything older than mid 2012 is not compatible with Mohave. I updated my wife’s mid 2012 Mac Air to Mohave reluctantly because it’s on the edge. So far she has had no problems but she is not a “power” user.

I myself installed Bootcamp on my mid 2012 Mac Pro and run all my ham software on Windows 10. I finally capitulated to MS for the ham shack. It was a lot easier for me.

4. K7BLS

K7BLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks gentlemen for your helpful responses. Slowing down the waterfall seems to help. I understand that my MacBook is getting near end of life.

I’m in the process of moving my shack computing to a Raspberry Pi. I’ve been doing all of my VHF/UHF packet, APRS, etc on the Pi for about a year. Next step is for the HF apps like fldigi and WSJTX.

Regards
    K7BLS

5. K0JFJ

K0JFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just installed the NEW Fldigi 4.1.00 on my Mac OS X 14.2. It works! The CPU usage is about one half of the previous version 4.0.18. The waterfall does not
    freeze the program even on "Fast" display. All is well again.
    73's K0JFJ