Fldigi Unstable with OSX 11.4

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by AG7AB, Jul 26, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AG7AB

AG7AB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a new Fldigi user. I’ve got it all set up and working fine, but it’s just not a stable app for me. It frequently crashes, other times freezes up and requires a force-quit. Timing seems random - sometimes it will run fine for 30 minutes or more, through several QSO’s. Other times it will crash at random after only a few minutes. I can’t seem to correlate it to any specific action. I thought maybe RF in the shack, but it doesn’t seem to correlate to transmissions. One crash last night corrupted something enough that the app would no longer run. I deleted the prefs files and reconfigured, and that brought it back to life.

My configuration:
    Mac OSX 11.4 on a 2016 Macbook pro, 3.3 Ghz i7, 16GB memory
    Rig: TS-590
    Using RUMlogNG with USB interface for audio, CAT control and PTT.
    Also running CubicSDR as a panadapter, but this doesn’t seem to make a difference.
    Fldigi is 4.1.19. RumlogNG is 5.6.1

Maybe this is a clue: When I run the Mac activity monitor app, it shows fldigi taking about 50% of the CPU, and if I expand the window to show more signals in the browser, it goes up significantly, even above 90%. How fast a processor does Fldigi require?

Just wondering if anyone has similar experience or other ideas on a possible cause.

Thanks,
    Mike
    AG7AB

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page