ad: vanity

FLdigi RTTY setup no WF, random decode

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by OK1TK, Feb 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. OK1TK

OK1TK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys, I am struggling with RTTY using FLdigi. I can't see anything on the waterfall. Sometimes I cab decode something what makes sense but there is no signal on the waterfall and in the left column I can't see anything as well.

You can see here one of the random decodes: (sorry for the quality)

My rig is Xiegu G90 which I use successfully with FLrig and WSJT-X and JTDX. Both work well. I used the same setup for FLdigi:
    [​IMG]

The rig via FLrig control works well in FLdigi but the receive works randomly and it's really strange. Asi you can see on the picture above there is no signal on the WF in the FLdigi.

I can't figure out what could be wrong in my FLdigi setup.

Pls, can someone help ?

2. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't you need to be in LSB mode for proper RTTY decode?

Additionally, I have found that the "right" level for WSJT-X as set in system menu 6 on the G90 is a bit low for fldigi-tends to give dark prints if anything on the WF. Try kicking it up to 10 or 11 and see if it becomes visible.

Edit: adding: if your software lets you change the audio gain in the windows mixer maybe make the change there since it's easier to get at than the F menu in the G90?

3. OK1TK

OK1TK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I read it should be LSB but then I read that it is LSB in US and USB in Europe it is strange, but anyway I should see something on the waterfall I thing. The signal level might be the issue. I will try to check it.

Another question is: There is a Microphone icon on the Win10 bottom bar (right corner) when I run FLdigi. It says that 1 app is using my microphone. When I click the Icon I can see that the mike is used by FLdigi but I can't figure out how to check which mike (my laptop's built in mike, mike USB webcamera mike or my USB sound card mike input ?

[​IMG]

4. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a windows 10 machine so I don't have any pointers there...

But can't you just tap the webcam while watching the waterfall to eliminate that, then tap on the laptop case to eliminate that possibility?

5. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just one quick observation from your first screenshot post.

Shut down and exit other software such as JTDX or WSJT-X which may be using Com ports or audio devices before attempting to configure Fldigi.

6. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Get into the win10 sound control panel, recordings, levels, crank the Mic level to 100%. Crank your G90 to Max on Line Out. Crank the FLdigi 2nd number to the right of WF at the bottom left up from 60 to 90 you should get something now. I own a G90 and many radios used with signal links and other sound cards and the G90 is the lowest audio out for our sound cards to hear on Mic recording in.