fldigi Rigblaster MAC OS X - CW not decoding

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by K2YS, May 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2YS

K2YS Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my Rigblaster Advantage and fired it up with fldigi (v4.1.12) on MAC OS X 10.15 with my IC-746. I got PSK31 working fine the first night. Now I'm trying to see how it will decode CW by setting the Op Mode to CW. No such luck. Tried both CW and LSB on my rig (just to see if it helped - nope). Played with the volume on the rig as well as the RCV Level on the RB. All I get is jiberish displayed. Tried different bands as well.
    See attached screen-shot. What am I missing? Something basic obviously.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 6.25.34 PM.png

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Unless the signal to noise ratio is excellent, and the sending near to perfect, CW is not a mode that decodes easily outside the human brain.

Not saying it's not something in the software - but without hearing the signal you were trying to decode, it's hard (next to impossible) to say with certainly where the problem is.

Mode only matters if you're trying to reply :) You can tune in a 700 Hz CW note on USB, CW mode (which is USB) or LSB. Of course, if you want to actually work someone, you'll need to be in USB CW, regardless of band.

Try it again but maybe shoot a YouTube video so those of us who can copy Morse can listen to it - I can tell you in seconds if it's proper Morse but may well be outside the ability of software to decode.

CW operators can easily copy crappy Morse in adverse conditions that will NEVER decode in software..... we do it all the time.

Happy to listen and give it a try if you want to try it again and make a matching video to hear the audio side of the equation

Dave
    W7UUU

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been working with Morse decoders since the 70s. I worked with some that are really good, but most will not work at all in a mildly noisy environment. The one that has worked the best for me uses a hardware filter that feeds a computer serial port. The computer is a old SubNote laptop that runs Windows 3.1. The Morse program is written in C and works very nicely.

But, even a good decoder can manage high noise environments or bad CW. Try hooking up a code practice oscillator and send through a microphone. If your sending is good you will see it on the screen. That will at least let you know that the software can work. Then you just have to work on getting rid of the noise and QRM/QRN.

4. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you certain that fldigi was in CW mode? Running fldigi on my iMac (High Sierra) in CW mode shows the waterfall cursor to be about 170 hz wide. Your screen shot looks more like a PSK mode cursor as its about 20 hz wide.

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The attached might not help, but then again... Using RSPdx w/ SDRUno and paid version of VAC with Fldigi on a Win10 machine. Someone else was having problems with decoding FT8 using a Mac. His waterfall had a fussy image of the signal too. Not sure if on QRZ or Radio Reference. View picture in another window might yield better view.
    VAC_Setup.png

6. K2YS

K2YS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all. Yes it was definitely CW I was listening to and fldigi was in CW mode. I can copy at about 12 WPM. I was hoping to use fldigi to increase my copy speed by practicing and confirming what fldigi was decoding. I'll try what was suggested here and continue to work to get fldigi to work CW.
    Thanks, Matt

7. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Your squelch is set too high relative to the signal strength (the little slider to the right of the vertical signal strength meter in the lower right corner). Pull it down below the signal strength and I bet your decode will improve.