Fldigi psk31 and Yaesu rig control

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N4NSC, Oct 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4NSC

N4NSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello please help,
    I have a Yaesu FT-450AT
    Signalink USB /w Yaesu 6 pin din data cable
    fldigi ver 3.23.14 software

I have no problem sending or receiving psk31 contacts/QSOs. That is not my issue. My question is how can I get the frequency in the fldigi software to change to the frequency set on my 450? For example if I tune 7.070 on my rig, I want fldigi to show 7.070 in the software without having to manually change the frequency. Please do not refer me to fldigi site or their online manual, I have been there. I need someone who has a Yaesu 450 or like radio that has been down this road already.
    TY,
    KM4GZH

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Signalink USB only handles the audio to/from your PC, and PTT. For your computer and Fldigi to talk to your rig you need a CAT control cable. From the manuals, it looks like all you need is a RS-232 Serial port cable between the rig and the computer, that is separate from the Signalink cable.

If you want to know the details of CAT control for the FT-450 you can download the FT-450 CAT Operation Reference Book. However, most users don't need all that information. If your computer does not have a RS-232 Serial Port, you can get a USB to RS-232 Serial Port converter cable. After that you can select the port from the Fldigi configuration menu. You may also need to select the correct XML file.

For greater control of your rig from the computer, you can also install Flrig. Fldigi and Flrig can work together.

N4NSC likes this.
  3. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

N4NSC likes this.
  4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

As stated previously, the Signalink only provides audio and keying to the radio. You need a CAT cable to control the radio frequency, etc... with software.

Unless your computer has a real serial port, you will need a USB-to-serial adapter cable, and an extension cable. Tripp-Lite makes a good USB-to-serial cable that is supported by Windows / Mac / Linux. IIRC, the extension cable is a straight-through DB9-to-DB9 cable. Not sure about the 450AT manual, but the 450D manual has a section on what cable to use, I believe.

FLDigi will work fine for rig control on the 450. Within FLDigi, there are RigCat ahd HamLib tabs which set up rig control -- I have had better luck with RigCat. You'll need to download the proper XML file for the radio, which is used to translate the FLDigi commands into Yaesu-compatible commands the radio expects. When working properly, you should be able to read / change bands, frequencies, modes and filters from FLDigi, including doing it with macros.

N4NSC likes this.
  5. K7MEM

You don't need "flrig", if you just want frequency information. "Fldigi" can handle that all by itself, but it can't work without a CAT cable.

The FT-817 is a different rig than a FT-450. I have used a FT-817 on PSK-31 with a home brew audio interface. It worked great. But without CAT communication there was no transfer of frequency data. For the FT-817 the audio interface connects though the "Data" connector. The CAT communication is handled with a CT-62 cable connected to the "ACC" connector. The CT-62 cable is basically a RS-232 to TTL converter.

6. KG5ILR

KG5ILR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the FT-450D and signalink you will need an RS-232 Serial port cable from the FT-450 to the computer you can get them pretty cheap on Ebay.
    I use Flrig for cat control its easy to set up and works well. just a few minor settings in the radio you have to deal with. If you have any other questions my email is good on QRZ.

N4NSC likes this.
  7. N4NSC

8. K7MEM

What OS are you running? I see from the specs on that cable that Windows 10 is not listed. You may not be running Windows 10 now, but you might be in the future. Just saying.

Below are two other cables that do list Windows 10. The first one used the FTDI chip and the second one uses the Prolific chip. While the one with the FTDI chip is more expensive, most hams have had better luck with these type of cables. I have 4 or 5 of the Prolific variety, but only two of them work on Windows 10.

http://www.usconverters.com/usb-rs232-adapter-xs8801

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8

9. N4NSC

I am a MAC user OS X El Capitan

10. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you're a Mac user, then I STRONGLY recommend the TrippLite USA-19HS USB-Serial adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U...=UTF8&qid=1476327783&sr=8-1&keywords=usa-19hs) It is a bit more expensive than a lot of others, but you will save yourself a LOT of frustration. The USA-19HS has excellent OS X support; they've been supporting Mac's since before OS X existed.

Updated drivers can be found at https://www.tripplite.com/support/USA19HS

I'm not saying that another cable won't work, just that you 100% can't go wrong with the USA-19HS.

KG7OOM likes this.