ad: QSLcardEU-1

fldigi PSK channel changes on me

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KJ4YQK, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Once in a while when I am in the middle of a QSO, my channel selected in the waterfall will move off my QSO. I look at my radio it is still on the same frequency.

I run fldigi with the PSK browser open. Is fldigi jumping to a stronger signal? Or is it adjusting for the distance station I am in contact with, and over adjusting the freq select in the water fall?

This happens about every other third QSO, mainly with weak stations. Also debating if I am accidently hitting a key on my keyboard to cause the frequency selector in the water fall to change.

Operating system: windows 7

Thanks for any insights?

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Is your AFC on? If so, once you start the QSO, do you leave the AFC on?

If you do, then go to your configuration menu, look at the "Modems" tab, find the PSK tab and click on the General tab. Under AFC behavior, what is it set for. Anything more than 50-100Hz and you're just asking for it to roll off to a stronger signal within that pass band. Here I keep it set at 50 Hz which is more than enough to adjust to the current QSO without rolling off to another nearby signal.

Dave
    K3DCW

3. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for getting back with me. The AFC behavior is to 50 search range. Yes is was left on once a qso started. I will turn that off when I start a qso since the range is already set to 50.

I got looking for AFC in the online manual and found some items about the mouse wheel beable to change the AFC settings. I went in ahead and set my mouse will to none from Modem. I am thinking this could cause a problem if I accidently move my mouse wheel around.

Thanks, I will try it out for a bit to see if I have any change in channels/frequencies. I will also write down what I started out on so I can see if was the other station. It happens so quick, you don't realize what happen until you loose the other station.

4. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not just leave it off ?

G0GQK

5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The AFC is useful when tracking a slowly drifting signal, or if you receiver drifts slightly, but otherwise you can safely leave it off.

Most of the time, I leave it off on my rig, and only turn it on when I see a drifting target.

Hopefully the AFC solves your problem.

Dave
    K3DCW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.