fldigi, mac, and tecsun 380

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by NG9F, Apr 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have fldigi installed on my Mac, and a Tecsun 380 shortwave receiver. I'm desperate to decode something! I've tried the CW on 40 meters but all I ever seem to get is random characters. I've tried tuning to the PSK31 frequencies but I didn't hear any PSK31 I don't think, or not anything that sounded like the PSK31 samples on youtube.

How can I decode my first digital signal? I have a longwire antenna strung up over a tree and an MFJ 902 between the longwire and the Tecsun 380. I am able to see signals on the waterfall but never seem to be able to decode anything.

Any help is appreciated!!!!

2. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I typically use twenty meters (14.070)during the day and forty(7.070) at night for PSK31. Mode detection usually isn't automatic, you have to click "OP Mode" and select accordingly. Make sure fldigi and the rig are both set to upper sideband. I find I have to turn the volume up on the rig slightly to get good CW decoding, compared to PSK31.

Ben

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  3. NG9F

Thank you Ben!!! Well there's my problem. I don't have sideband on this radio. With only AM, what are my choices with fldigi? I guess I can decode CW, but what about RTTY?

4. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you will get RTTY to work and you might have a hard time with CW. Software like fldigi expects the audio tones generated when the beat frequency oscillator is mixed the digital signal, as would occur with a sideband receiver. You can build or buy an add-on BFO for this type of receiver, but I think the 380 uses a 45 khz IF, which makes it more difficult.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shortwave+add-on+bfo&oq=shortwave+add-on+bfo

Ben

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  5. NG9F

Thank you Ben! Looks like a might as well just spring for that IC-7300 that I've been drooling over. :)

6. NG9F

Looks like I really need my general ticket to do PSK31. :( I can't even transmit on 20 meters with my tech...