FLDIGI Freezes after transmit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by W3DDS, Jul 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3DDS

W3DDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone. I purchased a win8 laptop to run in my shack. I am using FLDIGI, a Rigblaster Advantage and Kenwood TS570 and windows 8. After I transmit CQ the waterfall freezes and will not return to receive mode. I am thinking that I am not the first person to experience this problem.

I have the Rigblaster connected to computer via usb and a direct connection from computer to radio also via usb to serial port. The com is correctly selected. I can hear everything just fine including the transmit before it freezes

thanks for your help!

Mike

W3DDS

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

KA1BSZ likes this.
  3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For many of those toroids one can't tell what material they are made of. For HF use, best to use type 31 material (less than 30 MHz). For greater than 30 MHz, use type 43. Also, consider getting USB cables with built in chokes! Those work pretty well also.

.............Bob

KA1BSZ likes this.
  4. W3DDS

Thanks very much!!

5. W3DDS

OK.l.. I got the filters and placed them... No luck..

Any other suggestions... I have a mac running windows and it does not freeze that one... Unfortunately FLDIGI will not decode andy of the data...

6. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To confirm that the problem is RFI-related, reduce your transceiver's RF power output to 0. If the freeze no longer occurs when you transmit, then you still have an RFI problem, in which case you should install toroids on all cables entering your laptop, including the power cable.

If the freeze still occurs when you transmit, the problem is not likely RFI-related, in which case you should reboot Windows into "Safe mode", start FLDigi, and see if the transmit freeze still occurs. If it doesn't, then one of the applications that Windows automatically starts in "Normal mode" is responsible.

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

... and you might want to test run a different software program with your same equipment, PSK, RTTY, ect.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem may be Win 8.

When they started trying to make it work with Win8, It stopped working properly on older versions of windows.

A older version in compatible mode may be the best for test.

The newer version should not require running in a compatible mode, And compatible mode can hose it.

Win 10 may fix a lot of problems.

Good Luck.

9. W3DDS

OK...

Here goes.. I got it to work flawlessly by deleting the "parameter" file and essentially starting over.

Go figure...

Thanks!

Mike

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great that you have it working. Good Job.

You should be able to make a file backup so that you do not need to start over again.

Enjoy.