fldigi - Cannot Get Out of TX - Have to Close fldigi

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by W1SMC, Nov 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1SMC

W1SMC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm trying fldigi for the 1st time. Currently using HRD DM780 for PSK-31 without any issues.

Problem:

After transmitting a simple test macro using fldigi my radio stops transmitting as I expect it to. I have <TX> and <RX> commands in my macro. And the T/R button in the lower right of the fldigi screen is no longer red. which would indicate that transmitting has also stopped.

So it seems as though everything is working correctly. WRONG!

The transmit light on the radio stays red indicating the radio is in transmit. But the radio is NOT transmitting a signal since my macro has ended. My Power/SWR meter returns to zero level after the transmission completes. However, fldigi appears to think the radio is still in transmit though (and maybe it is). The waterfall continues to scroll downward and I cannot hear my radio receiving any signals and I cannot stop transmit in fldigi so I have to stop fldigi which stops the radio that appears to be in transmit and I can begin the receive signals again.

So it appears that even though my radio in not transmitting a signal after the <RX> command has been executed by fldigi, fldigi does not take my rig out of TX.

What am I missing here?

Radio : Ten-Tec Eagle with 712 USB interface.
    Computer: Windows 10 Pro desktop
    fldigi: RigCAT with TT-599.xml rig description file

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

How is the radio TX switched, both in DM780, and fldigi? Could be CAT, hard switched perhaps using RTS on serial interface, or VOX.

Canyou set it to VOX for fldigi, for an experiment?

I bet that will work.

3. W1SMC

I tried VOX and nothing changed .....

DM780 PTT is set to COM Port via serial Com Port with DTR & RTS set ..... and this works fine.

Disappointing .... fldigi looks like great software .......

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you may have some stray RF

K2CQW likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, set fldigi the same way. Triple check everything: com port number, RTS and DTR active level (probably want it going high).

You probably don't need DTR in DM780. Disable it, how does the rig behave?

Frankly I don't think fldigi does much that DM780 doesn't. So you are probably fine with just one or the other.

I agree with ND6M above... Double check for strat RF. Especially, put ferrites on every USB going in the computer.

Run the antenna coax far away from every other wire.

Try fldigi on other bands. My portable rig freezes like that but only on 30m, and not if I use 75' coax and put the antenna all the way aways..

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you running HRD and fldigi concurrently ?

7. W1SMC

No I run one or the other but not both .....

I swapped radios and moved from the Ten-Tec Eagle which works w/o issue using HRD & DM780 and tried using fldigi with my Ten-Tec Orion II with a new USB interface .... I had the same issues with the Orion that I'm having with my Eagle. fldigi just does not want to end the transmission .....

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you look here ?

upload_2018-11-4_10-17-34.png

9. W1SMC

Yeah I've been up and down all of them .... no luck ....