flatside

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by VE4SAB, Jun 11, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. VE4SAB

VE4SAB Ham Member QRZ Page

define flatside

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm no expert but I think that term may come from another radio service. It's not a ham radio term that I've heard in over 61 years on the air. Others may have more information they would care to post.

3. VA3RR

VA3RR Ham Member QRZ Page

The side that is smooth and even? Or when my beer isn't well carbonated ie it's a bit on the flat side...

AK5B and K1XH like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a good buddy colloquialism referring to a yagi beam or other antenna in a horizontal position.

The retired police officer knows this, but likes to withhold information to get others to fall for his virtue signaled gotcha trap.

Hope you found this helpful. 73

KK9W and WG7X like this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

1) The back side of a cabochon that has been lapped for setting in jewelry.

2) The side of something tangible that exhibits a wholly planar surface.

3) Any side of an object that is totally smooth and without curves, bumps, or other surface irregularities.

6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with WZ7U.... The "flat side" is CB lingo for horizontal polarization of a Yagi-Uda antenna.

Also could be used to refer to a woman's whose attributes aren't as shapely on both sides.

7. KT0DX

KT0DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Back side of a girl friend....

8. KI8DJ

KI8DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bottom of a hemisphere.

9. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Flatside is a CB term for a horizontally polarized antenna. Most CB antennas are vertically polarized for local talking; if you turn your CB yagi 90 degrees on the mast it looks "flat"; now it's horizontally polarized in the E plane.