Flame suit & pop-corn , ARRL ? & answers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by KD0CAC, Jul 31, 2020 at 6:31 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a thought after getting a email from ARRL - asking for input from former member .

I am not asking for the ZED to have a form classification here , but if I was king of / president of ARRL --- I would ask if the ARRL could have a heading , sticky - whatever here on the ZED to try to create good relations between hams & the ARRL ;)

I have over my ham lic. yrs. [ 10-15 yrs. ] had a membership , when I was working and could afford , and some during disability and then when I was president of one of my clubs in the area - kept ARRL membership figuring it was part of being Pres.
    At the meetings I made a point of asking what if anything the members had anything / issues they would like to address at each monthly meetings .

So after checking my email and then doing my daily internet cruising here , I thought to make this post .

Maybe I will send a copy to the ARRL

Point being with so much polarization going on these days , and most discussions having no input from the ARRL [ I may have missed any from them ? ] , that having open discussions with ALL hams is a good idea .
    But it would have to be in the nature of unemotional factual discussions , for 2 reasons .
    1 is just for being here and respecting the ZED .
    2 is the idea of bettering the ARRL and if they do a good job - they may get more / better members/ship ?

In the nature of discussions on Youtube & podcasts from many , generally speaking the Intelectual Dark Web ,

" Intellectual dark web is a term used by an informal group to refer to themselves and other allied commentators who oppose what they believe to be the dominance of identity politics, political correctness, partisan politics, and the establishment in higher education and the news media. Wikipedia "

John
    KD0CAC

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya know, that's not a half bad idea!

I can see it descending into a pit though...

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, but it is a half bad idea and won't improve if put into practice.

The ARRL has nothing to learn from rabid haters and those who don't wish to belong for whatever reason. It's pretty simple.

The best the League can do is to make themselves and their services known to hams who aren't familiar with them.

It's just not productive to waste effort trying to change the minds of those already made up.

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent typo

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Freudian slip?

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sterilize the mad with the day-light - facts .

Part of my thought process is reading issues hear , and having open discussion / daylight .
    Much like the idea of free speech , like the crowded theater analogy , all speech is allowed , then we know who / where the problems are and with the facts of an issue , some mad hopefully gets straightened out .
    Then we can leave the mad in a pile by themselves .

I know its Fred's place / living room , but I have always been against political correctness , or don't talk about politics & religion ,

how else is a republic supposed to reach a consensus to vote on ?

The moderators may need hazard pay / drink ;)

My point is , I've been in many clubs for many interests , and they all seem to polarize and go to the crapper .
    My problem is , I keep trying to shovel us out .

WR2E likes this.
  7. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" try to create good relations between hams & the ARRL ;) "

That point makes the assumption that there are NOT good relations between hams, ARRL members and the ARRL.

I think that there ARE already good relations between hams and the ARRL. Its just that the disaffected like to publicly
    complain loudly - usually about things that happened 20 , 30 40 years ago when they didn't get their way about something.

Same as any club, lodge, business, church etc.

N0TZU likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And many of them complain because the organization and it’s management isn’t perfect in all aspects. Between that and the old grudges, I see no basis for a fruitful discussion with them.