Flaking "Skin" on Headset Ear pads

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N0TZU, Apr 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the unfortunate things about something in this age of nearly instant communication and overall awareness sometimes leads to degradation, and possible extinction of highly sought-after products.

Naugahs lived a pretty unknown life for centuries in the Naugatuck Valley of Connecticut until the early 1900s. It is where much of my wife's family comes from. One of her uncle's (by marriage) family had been part of the mad-hatters industry in the area until the 1960s. Their last beaver hat factory was where the Danbury Mall is now located. Before the mall was built, that area was known for the great fairgrounds and the heavy industry around it.

Unfortunately as the hat industry was going into extinction, somebody decided to see what they could do with Naugahyde. They became like chinchillas and were overbred, interbred, and we ended up with things like cheap Corvair and Falcon seat covers from China. We got headphones that just couldn't replace a great uncomfortable set of ear blistering Acme 2000 Ohm headsets that made us tough!

Anybody seen a Naugah recently?

N0TZU likes this.
  2. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had heard something of a large varmint hunt going on in the Midwest where they kill them for the shear sport of using the sticky backed little critters as targets. One weekend of these sport shoot events will leave the plains and desert valleys littered with the carcass of this groutesque invasive misbred species. They are so lowly that even PETA doesn't fight against the eradication of such a unfashionable substitute for pleather.

3. N3VCA

N3VCA Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K6LPM

5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Flacking ear pads? Put a "sock" on it... simple.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is best to wash them first.

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

The socks, or your ears? :D

AC0GT likes this.
  8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

... yes.

9. WB2QLL

WB2QLL Ham Member QRZ Page

Another idea: Earmuffs! I have a set of cheap earmuffs that I removed from their headband and cover a the headphones and don't affect the sound, plus they're comfortable on the ears.

N0TZU and K6LPM like this.
  10. K6LPM

Earmuffs are a novel idea that probably gets passed by many clueless Hams from the Sun Belt like southern Cal where the likely hood of frostbite may occur once every other blue moon and only every other Feb 29th while stranded in the desert on a broken snowmobile.