FL-2100B

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W1UWC, Sep 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W1UWC

W1UWC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got this amp a few days ago, my SB200 was hooked to my kenwood 440SAT viva a 7pin din with rca jacks. Question is will the 7 pin din work with the FL-2100B, also would like info about connecting the FL-2100B to a Kenwood 820S thanks to all who can help.
    Dan W1UWC

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think both the TS-440 and the TS-820 use relay contacts (uncommitted contacts, with none grounded inside the rig) so they can key "almost anything."

3. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You should be able to connect the RLY line on the FL-2100B to pin 5 on the remote jack. This pin shorts to ground on transmit, but open on receive.

4. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Bear in mind that the relay in the FL2100 takes quite a lot of current and has a fairly high negative voltage that needs sinking . . .

But then again so does the SB200 relay . . . so I guess the relay in your rig is man enough !

Roger G3YRO

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For many years all the Kenwood "home station" sized rigs used a pretty hefty relay with uncommitted COM, NO and NC contacts, none of which are grounded, so you can switch almost anything with them.

6. KD2EJ

KD2EJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using the FL-2100B for many years, originally used it with the Yaesu FT101 and the Kenwood TS440s for about 15 yrs, direct connection no problems. I purchased the 2100 again a few years back been using it with the TS-440 again, but I saw on ebay a small circuit to protect the rig and been using it with that and also have the Icom 718 and have a small circuit for that as well also bought on ebay and have had no problems at all in total I have been using the Fl-2100 for about 20 years without any problems at all with different rigs. I love that amplifier..

7. G3YRO

I personally think they are much better engineered than ALL the other similar amps, like the SB200, or the later Dentron or Ameritron ams. They were certainly the top-selling Linear Amp here in Britain for many years.

The FL2000B, FL2100 and FL2100B are all exactly the same inside . . . however, the FL2100Z has quite a few modifications that actually make it LESS reliable ! (although it does cover 160m)

Roger G3YRO

N8VIL likes this.
  8. N8VIL

N8VIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used a SK-200 softkey board from Harbach Electronics and mounted into my FL-2100B. You have to change a resistor on the board to work with the amplifiers keying voltage. The keying voltage then becomes around 1 volt at the keying terminals. I also like this amplifier better than the Heathkit SB-200. I have re-worked a few of those also.

DSCN1534.JPG

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  9. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I put a small SPST relay inside the amp to close the RLY and GND contacts. The terminals on the back were rewired for 12V and ground. So all the amp needs now is either a TX switched 12V source or TX switched ground. Any radio on the market will provide either of these.

10. G3YRO

I did the same, just a very cheap sealed relay.

But I derived 12V DC to operate it with a diode and capacitor from the lamp supply . . .

So all you needed to do was ground the negative line with your Tx.

As I mentioned in another thread, a small relay like this is SO much faster than the big Antenna Relay in the Amp, that the extra delay is negligible.

Roger G3YRO