ad: k1jek

fitch8920@gmail.com sent me unsolicited email after I communicated on Swapmeet

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KG5RPX, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG5RPX

KG5RPX Ham Member QRZ Page

I communicated on Swapmeet with KPxxx about purchasing his FTM400 and then received this unsolicited email (below). Only an FYI, he may be a QRZ verified client as he used my QRZ email address or he may have just guessed. update- QRZ Support says fitch8920@gmail.com is not associated with any QRZ account.

John Fitch <fitch8920@gmail.com> I have for sale a Yaesu ftm 400dr in a perfect working condition. Comes with manual, shipping box, cable and mic . Asking $335 shipped. Let me know if you are interested. 73

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Likely s scam. Be careful!

3. KG5RPX

KG5RPX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, didn't necessarily want to call him a scammer right off the bat, that is why i posted the basic notice for all to see here. Cheers!

4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That email is being used by an overseas group that "appropriated" John Fitch's name and callsign. The group also works the Unsolicited Email Scam which is what happened to you. They picked you because you said you were ready to buy and even though the seller's ad said, "Questions through QRZ email address", you posted to the ad. Their experience is that people who do that are an easy mark (pun intended). Always best to use email or Conversation (PM)when responding to a seller, unless the seller specifies otherwise.

KP4SX likes this.
  5. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

$335.00 You can buy new for $409 with free shipping. That guy is a scammer.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

CAUTION: That email is absolutely 100% a SCAM and the person behind it was using a hijacked account to list fake items for sale. The account has since been banned but it appears he is now resulting to direct emails.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES email with, and much less send money to that email address.

THIS IS A SCAM and has been confirmed as such

Extreme caution advised

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  7. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The scammers are going to be very busy these next few weeks. As stated USE CAUTION!

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree absolutely. They know that come July 1, it’s all over so they’re really pushing hard now.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What is happening on July 1 that will stop it ?

KJ4VTH likes this.
  10. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone posting on the Swap Meet will be Verified and using 2 Factor Authentication.

W7UUU likes this.