First steps toward 630/2200

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N5WVR, Nov 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've made my UTC filing for both 630 and 2200, and I'm waiting to hear if approved. I doubt there will be any objection at my rural location.

I plan to do a lot of listening this winter, experimenting with my existing antennas for receive on these bands. I have a 300 ft beverage, though the wire has been broken and spliced a few times (deer, falling trees, etc.) and will be completely replaced come spring. I'm focusing on 630 for now, and will defer 2200.

Thinking about transmitting is a whole 'nother can of worms. Starting next summer, I plan to experiment with several transmit antennas, including a continuously-loaded vertical with small capacitance hat and a G5RV-style vertical wire with a long, single-wire top hat.

Ideas taken from here:
    http://njdtechnologies.net/whats-the-dumbest-antenna-ive-ever-tried-on-630-meters/

I'm debating the best way to put out a signal. Given antenna (in)efficiency, I will need somewhere between 100 and 500 watts to reach legal-limit EIRP (5 watts 630, 1 watt 2200). That probably means building or converting a small amplifier and feeding it with a low-power input. Perhaps I'll look for a junker SB-200 with a burned band switch and go from there. Converting an existing amp will be much easier than building one from scratch.

Coax losses should be negligible at these low frequencies, but good-quality coax is still needed to stand up to the weather and handle the power. I'm not certain whether my TS-590S can transmit down there, perhaps through the transverter output.

Much thought needed...

Cathy
    N5WVR

2. NO3M

NO3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very plausible idea. I prefer glowbugs myself:

http://no3m.net/shack/630m-station/

Converted SB-1000 down the page. I used it when I was QRV as WG2XJM under an experimental Part 5 grant and had a 100W ERP limit. Max output was 1.1kW. Of course, now it sits unused with having the lower 5W EIRP Amateur limit. I may entertain selling it.... BUT, someday down the road, the power limit may be increased and it may come in handy.

Correct, 1mW out of the transverter output. RX is good out of the box. There are some guys running the same rig. All you need is an amplification chain to go from 1mW to whatever you need.

GL and hope to work you on 630M someday.

73 Eric NO3M

N5WVR likes this.
  3. W1GCI

W1GCI Ham Member QRZ Page

This sounds like an interesting approach if the transceivers will support it. I've been doing a search as well as looking at manuals for my TS-940s as well as the Yaesu ft-767GX, which both have general coverage receive and can be configured for general coverage transmit, but seem to begin that transmit coverage at 1.5 Mhz. I haven't found anything that discusses the transverter port - have to experiment. There are also a few designs out for simple transverters using DBMs that wouldn't be too hard to construct. One such project uses a 5mhz LO and tunes 5.47x as the IF. Something to consider.

arnie - W1GCI

4. N5WVR

I successfully copied my first 630m beacons (WSPR, receive-only) tonight. My 160 meter dipole, ladder-line fed, with the tuner bypassed appears to be my best receive antenna for 630. The (unterminated, bi-directional) 300 ft beverage also works, but does not appear to hear as well as the dipole. WSPR signal strengths are coming in around -25 dB.

I suspect I'm going to need a better receive antenna to be able to hear CW. I don't think noise is a problem at my rural site, but signals are weak. I've played around with pre-amp on and off, different bandwidths, AGC on and off, etc.

So far I've heard W3LPL, AA1A, WA3ETD, and K4LY.

N0NB likes this.
  5. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm also interested and will need to make an addition to the K3 for 630m. Good to know I can try the center fed doublet as an RX antenna.

Small steps. :)

6. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got my approval notice Oct 30th. now to get setup for operations on the new band.

7. N5WVR

When did you file it?

I am wondering now what to do if I don't receive any notice either way. The rules say that if you aren't rejected in 30 days you are considered approved, but how do you prove that you registered if you don't receive any reply?

Is there any way to search the UTC site to confirm that your filing is in the database?

8. N5MEP

N5MEP Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked at the UTC site last night for a way to search, but nothing found for amateur
    filings. Today is day 31 since I filed the notification. So far, no response from them.

9. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

MEP:

Legally, you can start operating because more than 30-days have elapsed. But, there is a "Catch 22" in that if you are less than 1 kM from a PLC line, then you cannot operate!

Actually, it took over 7-weeks for my "approval" to come through.

Glen, K9STH