ad: M2Ant-1

First rig?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB1LQD, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VO1GXG

VO1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Since i started when i was 16 ive collected the following

Heathkit HW-101
    KDK-2025
    Kenwood TS-450SAT
    Icom IC-2000H
    Icom IC-730
    Kenwood TM-201A
    Motorla MCX-1000
    Realistic HTX-202
    Johnson Viking Ranger xmitter
    Hallicrafts S-85 receiver for the johnson.

and will be adding an Icom Ic-718 to my list very soon i hope.
    antennas are a dipole and a A3S beam up 11 meters

**09/27/09 Pick up the IC-718 tomorrow! Sold off the TS-450SAT**

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. VK3FTIM

VK3FTIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Gday all

First rig i had was a Uniden President HR2510 with a Stationmaster 11 Meter vertical with the tuning coil changed for 10 meters and it worked perfectly

I still have it and it still works no problems

3. SQ8MXR

SQ8MXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there,

I had had President Jackson with vertical antenna for 11m (5/8 lambda) before I bought FT-857D by YAESU. It was a very good rig. PJ was sold because I'm using only radioamateur's bands :)

Greets,
    Peter, SQ8MXR.

4. KC8LEQ

KC8LEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My rigs, listed below in the order I aquired them:

Icom W32A
    RadioShack HTX212
    Alinco DJ-S11
    Icom 746
    Kenwood TM-V7A
    Alinco DJ-V5t
    Icom T7H
    Alinco DJ-190
    Kenwood TR-7400
    Kenwood TS-480SAT

5. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My father is trying to sell a kennwood Ts-430s
    check out ebay, plenty of hams on there!

6. PD0MBZ

PD0MBZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

first rig Hallicrafters

I am still using my first rig every day!!!
    The sound of a Hallicrafters SR-400 Cyclone is just great.My old rig never ever let me down!! Aslo using a Hallicrafters FPM-300 and if needed for backup a Kenwood TS-830M.

7. W4HAY

W4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

It was 1954, and the first receiver was a homebrew regenerative using a 6C8 dual triode. The transmitter was a crystal-controlled 6AG7 and the antenna a 40 Meter folded dipole.

I tried a BC-455 ($5 WW2 surplus) which was more stable, but selectivity was wide as a barn door. The Novice bands at that time sounded like a never-ending Field Day. During the summer I made enough mowing neighbor's lawns to buy a used National NC-98, and rebuild the transmitter with an 807 final. The 807 was notorious for parasitics, so was replaced with a metal 6L6.

Later, General ticket in hand, I earned enough to purchase a Heathkit VF-1 VFO and build a 5763/5763/6146 transmitter, modulated by push-pull 807s operating AB1. The 807s only got used for the Tarheel Emergency Net; I was a CW addict. The antenna was replaced by two coax-fed dipoles, one for 80 and another with elements for 20 and 40. The 40 Meter element loaded nicely on 15. By then we were on the up-swing of Cycle 19, so a crystal-controlled converter was made to drop 20 & 15 down to around 6 MHz on the NC-98, and a Heathkit Q-multiplier was added. Life was good.

After college we went to work for Hammarlund and purchased a HQ-170 and HX-50, both rebuilt.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

First rig was a homebrew DC Receiver and a two transistor transmitter with a 7110 kc crystal.

9. KC9FSH

KC9FSH Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was first licensed at the age of 16(I'm 23 now), a friend lent me his HTX-202 to use for my first radio.
    A couple of months later I bought a Kenwood TR-7800 from a local ham and used that for a few months until the tone board went out in it. I still have this radio and plan on using it for APRS eventually.
    Right after my 17th birthday, I put together all of my birthday money and saved some money from my paychecks and bought a Icom IC-207h, which is still used in my car.

For Christmas 2005 I asked for a IC-T90a, not expecting to actually get it but come Christmas there it was sitting under the tree.
    In February 2006 I purchased a used IC-706mkiig from a guy on Eham using my tax return.

Sometime in either 2005 or 2006 I came across a FT-101EX with the 6m transverter at a estate sale. I picked it up but could never get the radio to work.

During the summer of 2006, I came across a UHF Motorola GP-68, I picked it up and used it once in a while. Eventually I decided that I didn't really need a UHF only radio and decided to sell it on Ebay.

During the Fox Cities Amateur Radio Club's 2008 ham fest I found a FT-101EE in very good condition. I picked it up for a price that was a little higher than I wanted to pay but the radio works great.

I asked for a FT-7800r for Christmas of 2008 and ended up getting that as well.

In June 2009 I picked up a new HT, the Yaesu FT-270r, which is a great single band HT.

In August 2009 I found a FT-7800r on E-bay as a "tech special." I picked it up and narrowed it down to something in the front panel. I opened it up and noticed that there were some solder fractures. After fixing those fractures the radio worked like new again. Also in August 2009 I picked up a HW-100 from a friend who owed me money. He was trying to sell the radio on Craigslist and when I noticed it I told him I would give him $20 for it and clear out his debts. He agreed to this and I have a freshly retubed and aligned HW-100, which is going to be lent out to a new ham in area starting next weekend.

Basically the run down is:
    HTX-202 (Borrowed radio)
    Kenwood TR-7800 (dead tone board, future APRS radio)
    Icom IC-207h
    Icom IC-T90a
    Icom IC-706mkiig
    Yaesu FT-101EX w/ 6m Transverter (non-working)
    Motorola GP-68 UHF (Sold)
    Yaesu FT-101EE
    Yaesu FT-7800r
    Yaesu FT-270r
    Yaesu FT-7800r (tech special, now works)
    Heathkit HW-100

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  10. KC8YTY

KC8YTY Guest

My first Station

Licensed in Dec 2003 as a tech and as the only ham operator in the family at the age of 13.

I worked in a family business and saved up to by a icom 2100H for 2 meters and cushcraft vertical.

2 years later I recieved my General and passed 5wpm code test at the age of 15.

Saved up enough for my first Rig and Antenna.

Icom 746pro and a G5RV Dipole. By the summer of 2005 saved up enough to purchase 40 feet of rohn 25g tower and yaesu 450A rotator and Cushcraft MA5B mini beam.

Sold my Icom 746pro in summer of 2008 and purchased a Yaesu Ft-2000. Also sold Cushcraft MA5B and Bought a Hy-gain Th7DX Beam.

My age now 19.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.