First rig?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB1LQD, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K0DXC

K0DXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was lucky enough to start out with an ICOM IC-706MKIIG. Now I have an ICOM IC-756PROIII.

2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the QRP contact! Very nice. have you considered joining a QRP club? Lots of great little transmitter/receiver ideas out there if you like building your own gear. I like building stuff almost better than operating stuff I build.

Check out QRP ARCI - http://www.qrparci.org

They have a great quarterly magazine full of stuff to build and operate.

73 de KB9BVN
    Brian Murrey

3. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks haha... I guess I started out QRPp almost considering the actual amount of RF that was probably radiated from my antenna with that LAN wire and random length antenna.
    I have heard about QRP ARCI, I know a few members up in the Boston, MA area. I have not joined the QRP club nor a couple other clubs just by the fact that I'm on a college budget and heavily active with other clubs. I went to the club table at one of the Boxburough, MA (I know I spelled that wrong...) Hamfests and got some neat stuff their.

I'm the same way with building more than operating. Although I go through phases, when I'm home I'm usually building stuff. When I'm at school I usually operate because it's awesome to use the club call/station and be with the group as well as I don't have access to the tools/parts/time that I do at home... I should dig out that QRP kit and throw it back on the air... Last note, my first contact I believe was on 7.111.7 or some weird frequency as I was a Tech plus and only had that Crystal!

I still think that a low cost (Less than $100) HF radio pre-assembled with ssb/cw and a band or two would make it a lot more feasible for both younger amateur ops without radios and beneficial to the low end market... my 2 cents haha

4. KF7EGL

KF7EGL Ham Member QRZ Page

my very 1`st rig for a new ham
    yaesu ft-2800m single band 2m
    larsen 5/8 mag mount

5. N5CFL

N5CFL Guest

I have been a HAM almost a year now, my cousin gave me the first radio which was a Yaesu FT-60R hand held. That is now my little brothers first radio now that he is a new HAM. I now own aFT-2800, and aFT-7 HF rig.

6. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm fairly new to amateur radio. I started out with a Yaesu FT-450 with which I'm still very happy.

7. VA7AAX

VA7AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

My first rig was a VX-5R.

We really need to push YaeComSu to make a really simple <$100 rig. For a new ham, all bells and whistles don't make a difference to whether he/she can make a contact with it.

Have a look at the BitX20, or the MMR-40 http://www.qrpkits.com

Me too, with the more building than operating. Looking at the PSK & ADC design by KD1JV.

8. M6CEB

M6CEB Ham Member QRZ Page

my first rig!

hi all my first rig is a kenwood tm g707 with a 2m/70cms colinier:)

9. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! You lucked out on getting a nice first rig. Welcome to the forums btw.

10. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first radio was an HTX-202. My first rig was an IC-718, I still have it but use the 706 in the car more often than the 718 that hasn't been turned on in ages since I have teh 756Pro3 at the office to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.