First rig?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB1LQD, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

For some of us youth our beginnings in amateur radio involved little money and no radios, others got the chance to buy their own rigs or use their parents. What gear did you use when you got your ticket?

I used a borrow ICOM Receiver from my dad's friend and bought a RAMSEY 40-meter cw transmitter kit to make my first contacts. I talked to a newly licensed amateur op over in the Adirondacks using 1 Watt CW into a random long wire using old CAT5 Ethernet cable for coax and no tuner... Ya I totally knew what I was doing ;)

2. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a used FT-920. I got it for a good price. Had to save Christmas money, birthday money, allowance money, and money from mowing grass. After that I picked up a Ic-7000 with money I made from a summer job. Same with my proIII.

3. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Save up a couple hundred bucks and buy a Kenwood 520. You might be able to get a 820 for the same price. These radios are timeless and have VERY good shelf life. I had a 820 that I used for years after I got back into radio, and my first rig was a 520 in 1976. I have a 520 right now I bought from a friend of mine for a couple of hundred bucks that I still use now and then. Super audio on that and a Very sensitive receiver!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  4. KE5YUM

KE5YUM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a ham less than a year, so my experience is limited. A friend gave me his old TS-520, which has been a wonderful radio for me. I've worked Europe with it several times. I also have a 40 meter QRP unit that I use almost daily. I can't wait for the sunspot cycle to improve!!!

If you are up to the challenge and you really want to stand out in your group, learn Morse Code. QRP CW rigs aren't all that expensive, and with a long wire antenna, you can make a lot of contacts without investing much money.

Terry
    KE5YUM
    SKCC 5173
    NAQCC 3102

5. KD0DLP

KD0DLP Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a ham for a bit over a year now, so my experience is also limited. My grandpa gave me an IC 2200H as soon as my callsign was added to the database though.:D And I just recently got a MaxTrac 300 from SARA.

6. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

Well Brent,
    You totally know this already but for other peoples enjoyment... I made my first contact on a 500 mW (0.5 watt) CW transmitter I built which pretty much consisted of only an oscillator. It successfully made all the TV's in the house go black (I wonder if that would happen now with the digital signals....?) but it worked. Transmission line was all 8 conductors of a CAT 5 LAN cable soldered together and one of those shortwave broadcast antennas from Radio Shack. The antenna system was pretty much a random length wire at that point, including the CAT 5 cable...

Bryce
    KB1LQC

7. KD8EPC

KD8EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

my first radio was a kenwood th-k2at i ordered it the day i passed my test and received it the day i got my license in the mail ( what a coincidence). then when i figured out how to operate it i got on the local repeater then was loaded with many items. my first rig i had set up in my base was a kenwood tm-241a i also got a 2 meter amp with that. my first antenna was a hustler g6.
    my first hf rig was given to me shortly after i got my general it was an icom ic-751 its still currently my only hf radio. I still cant thank k8bmn,n8xqm,k8fh, and the Medina 2 meter group for everything they've done for and given to me.

8. KD0HFZ

KD0HFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, for those who want a challenge...
    Elecraft has the K1 kit, it is software controlled and is CW QRP, you can build a random length wire tuner for less than 20 bucks...i heard of one guy who worked 55 countries with it.:D

9. N9TYK

N9TYK Ham Member QRZ Page

My First Rig is a Yaesu FT-60R Portable (If one would call that a rig)

10. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I got my license in 1978 when I was 14 years old and my first station was the following.

Hallicrafters HT-37 Transmitter
    Hammerlund HQ-170 Receiver

HyGain 10-80 meter `trapped Dipole

My next rig not to long after that was a Tempo 2020 which was also my first brand new radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.